The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hook Sizes Among Different Brands...

Since it's too cold to fish much right now, I've been tying more. I had noticed this before, but have time to address it now. There doesn't seem to be a standard hook size. I have lots of "old" Mustads, and the dry hooks are much smaller than a Tiemco in the same stated size. Daiichi is even smaller, although I don't have many of those. After running out of Mustad 9671 in #18, I ran over to the shop and bought the new Mustad Signature R73/9671 hooks. The #18 Signature hook is nearly identical to the #16 9671, with the only difference being that the #16 is just barely one hook eye longer. I welcome the larger hook gape/gap, and that has been a concern of mine with the old Mustad dry hooks, especially in #18 and #20. When someone says that a #18 so-and-so fly is working best, what size are they really talking about? Tiemco? Old Mustad? Etc..... I might strip the materials off of an old style Mustad 9671 #18 hook, and compare it with the new Signature hooks. Mustad did state they were going to change all of the proportions as the hook size increased/decreased, but does that include length?
I still have a ton of old style Mustad hooks in some sizes, but wonder about a #18 being nearly a #16 now. It might seem trivial, but I've been on a stream and had people tell me that the difference between catching and not catching is one hook size. That might be silly, but it might not be. Besides, I give people lots of flies that I tie, and don't want one thrown in my face when it doesn't appear to be the "correct" size. You could loose an eye like that.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hook Sizes Among Different Brands...

When I first started tying I had both Mustads and Tiemcos. No doubt about the Mustads having a shorter shank in the same size dry hook. I phased out all the Mustads (more due to the large barbs that were a pain to pinch) so I can't relate to their new numbering system.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Boy ... What you see ... is not what you get ... from one manufacturer to another. This site may help; dated, but still pretty compressive for comparing 'Apples to Pears.'

Hook Comparison Chart - This chart was originally to be included in the book that Malcolm Knopp and I am writing on tying and fishing Mayfly imitations from around the world. - Global FlyFisher

I'm sure time/events has moved on considerably from the above, but perhaps of some help?

fae
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used Mustad for many years and got by fine. Then came the new brands, I liked the Tiemco because they were longer and I could put a #16 on a #18 hook so to say. All taken into account the selection of dry fly hooks is better done when you can actually look at the hook you are about to buy. That always cut any confusion for me. Once you know what you want mail order is sometimes easier than a trip to a shop.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys,
I've bought a LOT of Mustad hooks in the past 10 years, and Tiemco when the shops didn't have the Mustads sizes I needed. Most of the Mustad hooks were bought in the 100 packs. I never really had an issue with the Mustads until I began to tie #18 and #20 dry flies regularly this past year. The gap seemed really small, and that caused me to finally pull out the Tiemco 100/101 hooks that have been sitting in a drawer for a few years. The Tiemco hooks are much larger, especially in the gap. Thread sizes are determined by denier count, but how are hook sizes determined. When someone says, "I'm fishing a #18 Adams", what size are they really talking about? I was in a shop a couple months ago, and told the owner that I was catching trout on #20 BWO's. He told me the naturals were a size #18, but what's that mean if hook sizes vary? Now Mustad has changed their own hook sizes, so I'll have to recalibrate for that! BTW, I stripped a fly tied on an old #18 Mustad 9671, and it's much smaller than the new Signature R-73/9671 #18.

Ard,
That shop has over 40 bamboo rods on the rack, the owner's daughter is hot, and Ridley Creek is 5 minutes away. Driving 45 minutes down I-95 is no problem with all that waiting....