The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default Why Fly hooks only?

I am new to tying flies. I just bought a cheap vice to begin with and the first statement that caught my eye in the instructions was to "use fly fishing hooks only". My question is why? Why only fly fishing hooks? I wanted to dress up some of my crappy and bluegill jigs and such. I also bought some #6 hooks to try tying some nymphs and larva etc. Mainly because they are much cheaper than #6 or #8 hooks for flies. I also felt it would be more economical to practice on the less expensive fish hooks. Not to mention the overwhelming need, and possible frustration, to save the expensive fly hook if it turned out to be a complete disaster and or it flew apart on my first cast.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Why Fly hooks only?

Hi Dave,

To specif icy "fly hooks ; would mean that the tier was working on flies for certain applications like a #14 dry fly. If you are tying jigs or bunny fur leech's you can improvise with whatever hook you choose. You will discover on your own when and for what you need a 'fly hook'.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Too save money you can try Hook & Hackles house brand 'fly hooks' I've read in another forum they are of great quality. There is another brand I don't remember that I've heard good things about. There is another forum that is specific to fly tying you can google fly tying forum to find it, its there that I've heard about a couple different house brands that are good quality.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I wrote this in the duplicate thread you started; but it looks like this one is where the action is!

I would use anything, and have at various times with one exception. I would not want to put a hook in my vice jaws that was made out of squared wire rather than round wire. Other than that, be utilitarian; that's what fly tying is all about, making things that work, not about following the books recipes exactly.
I have never had a reason to put the FrogDance on a post, and still don't, but here he is anyways!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I bought the White River Fly Shop Classic Vise. Who actually manufactors it is a mystery to me.
It seemed to me that the warning was because it's an inexpensive vice. I figured the jaws are not the best there ever was, so regular fishhooks could damage them. But that doesn't make sense to me unless Fly hooks are made of softer metals... But that doesn't make sense either. I'm sure that over time the jaws with show wear no matter what hooks are used. Staying away from hooks that are not round seems like a good idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has been doing insurance litigation for nearly 20 years. I would bet that the label is to help protect them against claims arising from people who might use the "fly" vise to hold any number of other things, and the resulting damage. Look at the labels on a ladder. You'd be amazed at the amount of litigation generated by using a product in ways it was not intended to be used, and even more amazed by the courts willing to hear such cases. Most are settled before they get to court, so you don't hear about them. Your new vise is capable of clamping, and you can only imagine where that might lead: clamping electrical wire, etc...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
My wife has been doing insurance litigation for nearly 20 years. I would bet that the label is to help protect them against claims arising from people who might use the "fly" vise to hold any number of other things, and the resulting damage. Look at the labels on a ladder. You'd be amazed at the amount of litigation generated by using a product in ways it was not intended to be used, and even more amazed by the courts willing to hear such cases. Most are settled before they get to court, so you don't hear about them. Your new vise is capable of clamping, and you can only imagine where that might lead: clamping electrical wire, etc...
I had the same thought. It's most likely the whole "coffee is HOT," thing.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dave

Congrats on your new vise and welcome to fly tying. Your crappie and blue gill jig hooks should be fine, and the vise should hold other hooks just fine as well.

The only caveats I could think of off hand would be not to use ‘bait holder “type hooks with the barbs along the shank because they’ll cut your tying thread, and to probably stay away from hooks that have a radical offset often labeled “reverse bend” where the point of the hook is bent to one side of the shank because the fly may not track straight in the water. If you have hooks like that and they cause a tracking problem you can try bending them back in line with pliers.

As for fly tying hooks, they’ll often differ depending on what you’re tying.

Here aere some of the common types of fly hooks:

Dry flies often tied on standard shank with light wire (to aid in flotation)

Nymphs- straight shank, standard or heavy wire, usually 1, 2 or 3 extra long, often “perfect bend” to accept beads

Wets standard shank heavy wire
Streamer- often 3-6 extra long shank

And as far as inexpensive hooks, in addition to Hook and Hackle a lot of folks have been recommending the hooks from Allen Fly Fishing Allen Fly Fishing

Materials – including hooks, can be pretty confusing so if you have any questions just tell us what you’d like to tie and feel free to shout—folks here will be happy to help you sort through all the choices of stuff.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks FrankB2, I would say your wife is dead on. Like Rangerrick99's thought about the lady who sued the fast food chain, with the statement "I didn't know the coffee was HOT!".
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

With that vise, I would stay away from big, thick-wired hooks intended for bass and offshore. Those cheaper vises don't have the range of adjustment needed to accommodate those hooks, and you'll likely get frustrated with the hook slipping while you're cranking down with the thread.

A size 2 3407 would probably be as big as you want to go.

Instead of seeking out just "cheap" hooks to get started with, I'd look for economical buys on large quantities so you feel more free to do lots of practicing. Here's a fine example-

Mustad 3366 Fly Tying Hooks - ParkerFlies.com (I just bought some #8's from that guy and plan on going through quite a few tonight)

Allen Fly Fishing also has some great deals- Allen Fly Fishing (I'm just a fan of Mustad in general and that hook in particular, very versatile)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.