The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 PM

tyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nicetyler185 is just really nice
Default parachute patterns

What is everyone using for the wing for their parachute patterns. I know calf tail is one but I know I heard of something that can be used. So what are you guys using?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parachute patterns

I make things easy on myself, and use antron of various colors: white, gray, yellow, and orange. I've used calf before, but it's a pain to stack hairs. Also, I tend to leave the post a bit long (sometimes), and cut it down on the stream to just what I need for visibility. I'd have to cry while cutting stacked calf hair. I've seen A.K. Best's argument for turkey flats, and while it may look nicer than antron, antron gets the job done. That's not to say I don't have a small collection of nicely tied upright wing drys, and parachute drys tied with calf hair. Since I don't fish them, I don't have to tie them very often.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

McFlyon in hi-vis colors. Got the idea from Charlie Cravens book.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

I have used antron also, at least I think that is what it is, somekind of synthetic material. My favorite is whitetail white, preferably from a deer I got (doesn't always happen that way )
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I use antron, seems to work the best for me.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I use antron or vitafloss for smaller flies.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

ps...sometimes light grey cdc fibers.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

First off sorry for not posting here for a long time..Some of the things I use for post are moose , caves tail , caves body hair dyed in various colors learned that from tying with Tom Baltz . I also use hi vis and cdc in all colors and they all work fine even do the turkey flats. One thing nice about the synthetics is as Frank stated you can snip them down if need be on the stream to suite your needs.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

polypropilen is also good
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Antron or Polypropylene yarn, all the way. Polypro is probably a better choice as the fiber resists moisture and in theory will float better.

I never tie hair posts for parachutes anymore. It just isn't worth it to me. Everything about calf body is a pain, I find it particularly difficult to tie down without it spinning and/or creating too large a build up on the fly, mostly on small flies. Yes, it looks wonderful, so white and straight, but I really do not think it makes the pattern fish more effectively.

I love the color option of yarn, the ease of tying it and the lack of bulk.

If the trout you are fishing to are too finicky I won't be using a parachute anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I use closed cell foam also- tie it down, "post" tie it and then snip after. White or colors are pretty visible and the hackle "bites" into the foam as you wrap it on the post well.