The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Question On Japanese Flies

I am looking for information on what type flies are used for trout in Japan. A little background for you. One of my main fishing buddies works for Auto Alliance; joint venture of Ford and Mazda. He took a kindred soul under his wing, an engineer from Japan; and introduced him to steelhead. Nobbi San, became a regular on our trips last year, and a welcome member to our group. He was more then willing to share insight and gear normally not seen here; some of the Elk Creek PA regulars may have seen him with his 28' rod...

Nobbi San keeps in touch with us now that he is back in Japan and sent us a very special care package composed of some items he willingly shared when fishing with us. We had asked if he could get us a source for the material and he just bought it for us and refuses to take any money for it.

We decided to put together a fly box for him to use back home, and I would like to tye something that will be of use for fishing, not just something to look at.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. What are the normal sizes, caddis, stones, mayflies?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Question On Japanese Flies

Hi Dan,

Check out this link to Fly Fishing In Japan. It seems that no matter where you fish the same insects are present.

Frank
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

HuronRiverDan: Hopefully Pocono will see your post, he fished over there awhile back. Here is his fishing report: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-fly-7578.html

Larry
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Did you say 28' rod??!!?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Question On Japanese Flies

This might be of interest...and there are traditional fly patterns here:

Tenkara USA

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies guys...And yes I said a 28 ft rod...LOL He got some real looks on Elk Creek. The rod is a collapsible deal, like the poles you see people use for Crappie. No reel, the line is attached to the end of the rod. Nobby San played around with it part of one day when we were down there. He actually landed two or three steelies with it... It was a real hoot...

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

The trout/char species in Japan are small. The trout are called "Yamame" and the char (related to our Brookie) are call "Iwana". I landed several "reasonably sized" Yamame; but they were only 8" long; sometimes smaller. They're thin, move like bullets, are very easy to spook and live in the almost gin-clear water of the mountain freestone creeks. The flies that they use are, appropriately, small in size; a #16 would be a big fly for Japanese trout/char fishing.

I found that the good ole parachute Adams pattern was a match for anything that the local anglers were tying onto their tippet. I later sent my fishing buddy, Hideto-san, a fly box filled with just one fly; para Adams in sizes #18-22. They were greatly appreciated! And, more importantly, they produced fish for him.

If I wanted to spice up a fly box for a Japanese angler, in addition to the para Adams, I would add a para light cahill (I know I saw some mayflies that looked like light cahills, but I didn't have a fly that matched with me at the time), a BWO pattern and a sulfur pattern; all in sizes #18-#22. Nymphs also work well; particularly in the roughwater riffles. For nymphs, I'd stock in some Princes, and bead head pheasant tails/ hare's ears. All in the same small sizes' #18-22.

That would be it for me. Hope that you're able to put together a box that your Japanese angling buddy will enjoy.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

Here are three examples of flies tied in Japan by Japanese tyers. These were given to me by a Japanese angler while riding in the back of a pick-up truck on our way to the stream. They like to tie with CDC.

Unfortunately, you'll have to click on the links to being up the pictures

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...utFiles001.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...utFiles003.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...utFiles005.jpg

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Question On Japanese Flies

"No reel, the line is attached to the end of the rod. Nobby San played around with it part of one day when we were down there. He actually landed two or three steelies with it... It was a real hoot..."

The style of fishing your friend from Japan was using is called TENKARA. Hence the link I provided above where the rods, lines and flies may be viewed.The entire system has just become available here in the US...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks again to all....Pocono thanks for the pics...The cdc tye was one I was thinking of...I'll probably tye a couple of that style in sulfur and BWO colors, and some nymphs also. Do they have stoneflies there, or would I be better off sticking with caddis larvae or pupae and mayfly nymphs?

Thanks again guys, this is why I love this Forum...

Dan