The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Saber Hooks?

Does anyone have any experience with Saber hooks? They are offered by a site sponsor and have an especially-reasonable price for 100-packs.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saber Hooks?

Hello,

I use them, reason mainly being in the price. I find they are a good hook plus the place I buy them from says if your unhappy with them return them for a full refund. The mustads, tiemcos, and daiichis could possibly be more durable, however I have fished a season with the sabres and through fish and snags, those trees can sure sneak up behind ya, I haven't had any problems. There was one time when a 18 bent but I am not sure if that was the hook or that when you use smaller hooks the lighter gauge bends easier (recently started using smaller flies and have not had the experience there but I am sure that smaller hooks must bend out of shape easier, correct me if I am wrong). There was a point when I needed to stock up and since I didn't want to have to spend a lot on high end hooks, as I needed a good selection, I got these.....so far so good.

If you have any other questions let me know, I have used their dry fly (12-18) caddis pupa (12-16), and streamer (8-12) hooks.

Hope that helps,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

At the Somerset NJ FF show I picked up a selection of Saber Hooks because of the price & guarantee. I tied a bunch of flies on them but I'm laid up & haven't had a chance to fish them yet. I posted this same question a few times this year & got no feedback at all so I guess they are not popular yet. They do look good & I did the ol vise test on them & they were comparable with others of the same size so I don't expect any trouble with them. They are as sharp as any hook I've ever seen.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road

I will agree with FISHN50 as well, they are very sharp.