The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Hot plate for dyeing?

Wondering what sort of hot plate (brand, watts,etc.) those of you that dye your own materials (and use hot baths) are using? If not a hot plate, what then? If you use the kitchen stove, no need to tell me about it; not going there, literally.
thanks,
Gary
Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hot plate for dyeing?

Pretty much any kind of hot plate with a temperature adujustment would work- a rheostat would be better than low/med/high, unless you can test the settings with the volume of water you intend to work with to determine what temps those setting render.

For the most part, you'll be better served with longer times and lower temp settings, unless you're working with some real coarse or difficult to dye materials.

I've been able to do a lot of small batches in jars in the microwave... heat the dye first, remove they jars (using a towel) then submerge the moistened materials in the jars and let them sit. Easier to see the materials while they're dyeing to see how well the color is saturating as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Gary,

I don't use anything elaborate at all to dye things. For feathers I mix the dye with a wee bit of hot water in a glass Pyrex container and then add the boiling water from a pot from the stove. For furs (which I do little of) I have an old steel pot that I boil the water and dye in prior to adding the fur. Then I just reduce the heat (gas flame) to keep the solution just below the boil until the color is set. Having a pair of tongs that belong to the fly tier is important here.

If you are careful no one will ever know you dye tying materials in your kitchen. I have done this for many years and always keep in mind that dye is probably the worst substance to have on the loose inside your home so caution is the operative word always.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Sounds like there are several ways to go about this...which is the case with most anything, I guess.

Ard - Since I just did a complete renovation of our kitchen, including an eat-in addition, new cabinets, new slate counters, new floors, etc. that I would have charged a paying customer (as opposed to the "honey do" that it was) at least 25K for just in labor, I don't even want to mess around in there. Fortunately, I have a shop with sink, etc.
Thanks, guys,
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 01-14-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: forgot to say thank you.