The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

View Poll Results: Which Material?????
Bucktail 8 21.62%
Peacock Herl 8 21.62%
Floss 0 0%
Chenille 1 2.70%
Marabou 6 16.22%
Hackle 4 10.81%
Dubbing 6 16.22%
Flash 0 0%
Pheasant Tail 2 5.41%
Bead Heads 1 2.70%
Synthetic Fibres 1 2.70%
KipTail 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default What Materal Is Your Favorite????

Just wonderin' what your favorite material to tie with is.Mine would more than likely be bucktail, as its durable, fun to spin, and comes in many colors. It can also be used in many ways.Wing cases, bass bugs, streamers, nymph and dryfly tails,ect.If your's isn't listed, SHOUT OUT!!!!! LOL
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What Materal Is Your Favorite????

You chucklehead, deer hair is spun, not bucktail. They're very different fibers. (I don't mean to be an arse, just want to set any formative tyers straight. )

I picked dubbing because it seemed to be the most versatile "material" listed. Dubbing can range from the precisely dubbable superfine to some ridiculously buggy/reflective mixes that can be spun into a palmerable hackleish thing to make the flashiest streamer/nymph possible.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 AM

I admitt bucktail is not spun....normally, but the bottom 1/3 of a bucktail contains hollow hair, witch can be used just like deer hair. I tie all of my bass bugs with this material. You can get some really effective colors off the back of a died bucktail. The bottom 1/3 on the back of a chartruse
bucktail makes some really nice natraul frog patterns.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead Junkie View Post
I admitt bucktail is not spun....normally, but the bottom 1/3 of a bucktail contains hollow hair, witch can be used just like deer hair. I tie all of my bass bugs with this material. You can get some really effective colors off the back of a died bucktail. The bottom 1/3 on the back of a chartruse
bucktail makes some really nice natraul frog patterns.
Yeah alright, viable point, though not all bucktails have that hollow stuff at the base.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:10 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite material to tie is bucktail, easy to use, durable. However my two favorite materials to fish are also my least favorite to tie. Marabou and craft fur have amazing action in the water but I can't stand tieing them (craft fur especially)
Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 PM

LOL, don't have much experiance with craft fur, but the marabou is a pain.....
Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I sure go through a ton of bucktail, so I gave that the thumbs up--- but I have a hard time resisting natural stuff, and peacock seems to end up in a lot of everything i tie.

And have recently launched into buying (if not tying yet) a ton of hen and gamebird stuff (for trout softhackles) and a bunch of natural dun shades of dry fly capes and saddles to take a stab at tying more traditional Catskill style dries to try and get more serious about tying better at traditional trout stuff.

Am I the only one not saving money by tying?

mark
Old 05-09-2009, 05:41 PM

LOL, it seems that way some times. Do the math. As far as I know the usable flies in my boxes are worth more than all my materials......so far.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I sure go through a ton of bucktail, so I gave that the thumbs up--- but I have a hard time resisting natural stuff, and peacock seems to end up in a lot of everything i tie.

And have recently launched into buying (if not tying yet) a ton of hen and gamebird stuff (for trout softhackles) and a bunch of natural dun shades of dry fly capes and saddles to take a stab at tying more traditional Catskill style dries to try and get more serious about tying better at traditional trout stuff.

Am I the only one not saving money by tying?

mark
LOL, your saving sanity be keeping busy...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

MARABOO dont tie much other then that. Sure I do dubbing, some synths, and stuff like flash boo but unless Im doing a pattern for pan fish, 9/10 its got maraboo on it some place