The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Light/Magnifier

Interesting looking light- just from what I could read on the link, here are a few initial thoughts:

PROS
- LED vs. incandescent, halogen or high intensity lamp, much less heat, won't burn the backs of the tyers hands (I've had this problem)
- Looks to be very lightweight, easy to carry

CONS
- Relatively small magnifier- field of view may not be large enough
- Clamp seems to have a limited opening for surfaces (1-1/2"?)
- Neck relatively short- can it be placed far enough away to not get in the way?
- Are LEDs color balanced to provide accurate colors?

I think this is one of those items I'd like to try/buy locally so I could return it easily if it doesn't work out.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Interesting looking light- just from what I could read on the link, here are a few initial thoughts:

PROS
- LED vs. incandescent, halogen or high intensity lamp, much less heat, won't burn the backs of the tyers hands (I've had this problem)
- Looks to be very lightweight, easy to carry

CONS
- Relatively small magnifier- field of view may not be large enough
- Clamp seems to have a limited opening for surfaces (1-1/2"?)
- Neck relatively short- can it be placed far enough away to not get in the way?
- Are LEDs color balanced to provide accurate colors?

I think this is one of those items I'd like to try/buy locally so I could return it easily if it doesn't work out.

In answer to these. The opening will go to 2" and more. The Goose neck is 18" same as my other one...plenty long enough for me.
The Magnifier is 4 1/4" diameter. The LEDs are not super bright. Just enough to light up the fly you are tying. They could be brighter, but it doesn't bother me. Unless you are tying in a dark room, I don't see it a problem.
Been using it for about a week now, and like it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Took some pictures of the set up in action

Clamp:

Click the image to open in full size.

lights:

Goose neck:

Big Fly:

Little fly:

Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM

fisher2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Took some pictures of the set up in action

Clamp:

lights:

Goose neck:

Big Fly:

Little fly:

Wow, looks amazing.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Joni-

Looks like it might be worth a go! The lens is much larger than the catalog picture appeared and the clamp opens up well enough to accomodate most surfaces- like the way you have it mounted, seems as if it would be easy to swing out of the way
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM

It is easy to work with for sure.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Price has went up since you made your post. After tying the other day I remembered this and ordered me one. I hate wearing such strong magnifying glasses because I can tell I had them on as my eyes feel tired. I'm hoping having this, right on the fly as I tie, helps more than wearing glasses. My up close vision is bad anymore.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Joni.
it's a beaut Magnifying Light,I've had one for years,not as Flash as yours.
I originally bought it for reading Fine Print,removing Splinters,especially metal ones,also for removing Burrs however these days it gets lots of use when Tying Small Flies.

Ps.
I expected a Pic of it fitted to your Pontoon as well,it wouldn't look out of place & if you are like me need it to Tie Flies onto Tipits.
They are a Good acquisition & are portable.
Brian.