The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Deer Hair

So this is my first real spinning/stacking venture. I've done a few small ones just plopping on hair but this was the first one I tried some color and stacking and what not.

I know for sure what I will do next time but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The collar is a tough area but I think I know what I'll try next.

Please any feedback you guys can give would be great. Don't hold back (ok, maybe a little )

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Deer Hair

Good first attempt! Did you get the hair all over the place...the bench, the floor, up your nose...it ain't right if you don't you know.

I'm not by any means a good stacker/spinner but I'll try to give you some pointers of what I would criticize.

For the collars, it appears as if you spun hair around the hook and left it. I'm not sure if this was the intent but I razr the bottom (ala a dalberg diver)...kinda a half starburst. I'm not sure how having a collar like that will effect the swim as I've never did it that way.

Also, a good way to make sure to know where the collar starts is to make your variation of colors there.

As for the body, it looks as if you took several straight cuts to form the half moon shape. When you get better, you shouldn't be able to see where you cut.

If I was to be highly critical, I would also say the head looks to be loose and like you could have gotten another bit of hair in there.

Its a great start and I look forward to several more.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It has been so long since I did that you make me wanna turn out some Sculpin patterns! I'm not going to say anything bad about that at all because I know how much work it is. Bravo for a first go at it man!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've never spun/stacked deer hair, but if my first attempt came out like yours, I'd be feeling pretty good about now!

I'd also be spinning/stacking some more today..

Pocono
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

That is sweet! I am new to the spinning game and my first few attempts don't look nearly as good as that! I am pretty sure the fish will pay you a few compliments as well when they see it!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM

robbyjoe01 is on a distinguished road

I think u did a good job of it. Practice makes better flies and besides if it catches fish
who r we to judge. 4 me I use more natural colors to match the hatch(even if it's a field
mouse I'm trying to match). Spinning hair can be a hard lesson to learn and your already
doing good. Try working with other hair types to find one that u like best and keep a picture file of your progess. U will see the progress U have made.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Very nice! Your first attempt is still better than anything I can crank out.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

THat's you first go at it!!???! AWESOME! The only thing I can suggest is maybe you should tie me some muddlers
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A good trick for trimming those is use a razor blade. First cut the bottom flat. Go pretty close to the hook but don't cut the thread. Next, take a pair of good scissors and going from the hook eye, on one side, cut the shape you want to have the head come out. You don't need to go far down (technically up on the fly), just enough to define the shape. Duplicate it on the other side. Then using the first cut as a guide, follow it aound till you meet the cut you did second. The CAREFULLY bend a razor blade to match the curve of the head you want to end up with. Go into the hair from the hook eye back to where you want the collar to start. This will get rid of those pesky little flat cut marks. Next take the scissors, and looking at the ends of the hair you have where the collar starts, using them as a guide cut all the way around. Again you don't have to go far in, just enough to define the edge. Next take the collar hair and fold it flat back toward the tail. Take the scissors and follow the defined edge you just made from the top down to the hair you want to leave over the tail. When you brush the hair back up it will be almost done perfect all the way around. Then just do a little final trim. This works really well, and almost is fool proof. It seems that what you did there is spinning hair. If you want to learn to stack, I can give you all the info you need for that to.

For your first attempt, you did a really good job on that fly.

Click the image to open in full size.