The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Can You Say ZOO COUGAR???

Who has tyed this pattern and what have you caught?

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Can You Say ZOO COUGAR???

Sorry.........just curious about who else may have been fishing this fly and getting the hookups I am.

What's your hot fly????

North Woods Wanderings

Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Can You Say ZOO COUGAR???

ok .........what's your best sculpin pattern?????

North Woods Wanderings

Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Zoo Cougar (Galloup's) is a great pattern. I've used it on the Provo, semi good luck, but I think this year the Maddy is calling for some ZC's. Big browns like them. In fact, I think I will try one stillwater fishing next time.....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Aroostook,

They look like a Muddler Minnow. I use a Whitlock style sculpin pattern here in AK. and catch some nice trout on them. Last August I caught 5 silvers on the same one in the same afternoon. I have only seen a photo of this zoo fly and thought it way too close to the Muddler to be given a different name. Stick to the Whitlock sculpin and do well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 AM

I fish the whitlock and the zc......but the zc has this really cool dive and float at rest action. You strip it to to make it dive.....lifelike. Then at rest the deer hair makes it float.......semi nuetrally bouyant. This year it has caught several browns in the sub 20" catagory.....and lots over 12". The mallard flank feathers create the diving plain......laying horizontal to the hook shank like a wing on a plane. Love that jerk/jerk pause action......browns smash 'em.
I liken the action to a Rapala floating minnow. Jerk/jerk pause........very real.

North Woods Wanderings

Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo and I floated the South Fork canyon section a couple weeks ago fishing streamers pounding the banks the whole day. After switching streamers multiple times we finally figured out the white zc had the best catch rate of all the streamers we had tried.

Larry
Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 PM

White????? Cool......have to try some.

North Woods Wanderings