The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default FTA (Fly Tyer's Anonymous)

Okay, so we ALL TIE most of what we fish with, but I'm sure there are some flies we DON'T TIE for ourselves.

I think everybody here has some unique patterns they've created or some they've modified form standards (different body colors/materials, etc) that if you want them, you're tying them or you JUST DON'T GET THEM.

And there are some flies that you're not going to pay someone else to tie because you know the patterns inside out, or you've just never found them at a reasonable price tied to your satisfaction.

NOW... with that said, what flies simply aren't worth your time to tie that you buy from others, or what flies do others tie so well, you'd rather have theirs?

I'll start... Hi, My Name is Larry, and I've been fly fishing and tying flies since 1964. I fish primarily for trout, steelhead and salmon, with a few diversions into panfish and bass.

There aren't any flies I use that I'm unable to tie, but there are some I'm no longer willing to expend the time and effort to tie.

My #1 is a Stimulator, size 14 or smaller. Oddly enough, my user name and e-mail is "Stimmy" because it was a favorite fly to tie for me.

#2 is anything with upright quill wings. In the rare cases where other materials just don't cut it, I hate tying these buggers in the worst way.

There's also one fly that I LOVE TO FISH, but someone else ties it better than I can, so I bow to his skills- it's the CDC Biot Caddis Emerger CDC Biot Caddis Emerger - A platform for American Commercial fly tiers at Troutflies.com from Harry Mason. I can tie a decent replica of this, but they must like the smell of Harry's better than mine =)

Okay so who else is willing to "fess up" and tell on themselves?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FTA (Fly Tyer's Anonymous)

I've tied ALL of my own flies since 1974
If I can't tie it...... I don't need it
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Every fly that has been hard for me to tie I've committed myself to master it. For awhile it was Humpies, before that something else. Recently I made myself tie a bunch of Rusty Spinners to master the three split microfibbet tail. All of that said I still buy spun deer hair poppers at the local store because they are stupid crazy inexpensive, and well tied.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have tied about every kind of fly that ever seemed worth the effort but you are right, some are not a favorite to make. I really like the Whitlock Sculpin patterns and when they became known to the tying world I made a bunch. Different colors spun into the heads, you name it. Heck I still have several pairs of Woodcock wings (peck fins) that will make another 30 or 40 flies. But a while back a company that sells them sent me a few to test out and Bingo! They do a good enough job on them that I bought about 3 dozen and don't tie them any more.

Everything else is made here but when I see something really different I buy one so I can figure out how to make them myself. I did this last year with articulated flesh flies. I had never seen anything like them so I bought 2 of them. I didn't use them, just used my own gob of fur but the store bought flies were pretty cool.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie all of my own flies. I tie patterns that are very hard to do, and some very hard to do ones I am pretty sure may never be used. I tie to relax. I'm taking a break from tying right now. Just tying to relax. If that doesn't work I am going to take up drinking and tying.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM

fisher2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I tie all of my own flies. I tie patterns that are very hard to do, and some very hard to do ones I am pretty sure may never be used. I tie to relax. I'm taking a break from tying right now. Just tying to relax. If that doesn't work I am going to take up drinking and tying.
tying to relax? sounds great.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

When I started out I use to buy humpeys, but the last 3 years I have not had a store fly at all, I have looked at a few to get some new patterns
But I dont buy them the store gets more than enough custom from my tying bench.

I dont mind labouring over a fly for an hour or so (if its real hard) because I enjoy tying them that much

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I've tied ALL of my own flies since 1974
If I can't tie it...... I don't need it
Guess my post wasn't clear to some folks... it's not a matter of CAN'T- I've yet to meet a fly I can't tie... including full dress salmon flies that take a week or more to tie from tail to tip. Larry Medina flies (The Lime Trude here is a size 28)

It's won't spend the time tying- flies that you use regularly that take more effort to tie than your time is worth. Lots of us work full time, get limited amounts of time to fish and tie because of other commitments in our lives, so if you only have so much time, why spend it tying tedious flies that you can buy of a high quality for under $2 each?

Instead, you can spend the time you have for tying on the flies you can't buy in the colors, styles, or quality you want that you can't get otherwise.

In the past, I used to production tie patterns for local shops, and took custom orders for some fisherman and guides. And this was in the days of a Thompson A, Mustad hooks, Champion 6/0 Silk thread, and before Hoffman saddles.

Now? I tie for pleasure, occasional swaps, personal use, and a few of my more unique patterns for friends with failing eyesight (nothing like a fluorescent yellow or pink CDC 'tag' on the back of a fly to aid in visibility!)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I just started tying about two years ago, so there plenty of patterns I haven't even tried to tie yet, so I buy them for now. Of course, I hve several patterns I tie for myself and friends that I don't buy anymore, and the list is growing.

However, I don't tie patterns like mice or stimulators anymore because they either take too much time or require too much material, or both. And I blow through stims fast. Last year I bought 280 stims and lost/destroyed around 200. Thank God they're only about a half dollar a piece. I am not a fast tyer, and it would probably take me half the year to tie that many stims. So except for the unusual patterns of stims I tie, like black and purple, or hopper leg stims, I have chosen to buy them, which frees me up to learn to tie other patterns.

With tying mice, it's just about the material. I learned to spin hair last year and tied about a half a dozen mice. After looking over my tying desk, I decided that tying mice wasn't cost effective when I can get them for 70 cents, and I don't use up a lot of mice a year. And my hair inventory will last longer.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I used to avoid tying anything with deer/elk wings and I really like elk hair caddis as a search pattern. Now I don't mind deer hair so much and I'll tie my own EHC's and Stimulators.
Deer hair bass bugs are just the neatest looking flys, but I doubt I'd risk the investment in dyed hair to try to tie my own. I do all my bass bugs with foam or... anything but deer hair.
Midges. I don't attempt anything smaller than size 20. I lucked into a sale a few years ago and have enough 22's and 24's drys and nymphs to last the rest of my days. Especially since I can't see well enough to get those on a tippet.
I don't have a good rapport with a crawdad pattern I can tie. Bought four for a dollar at the fly expo here last week end.