The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

10trout is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner tying troubles with pheasant tail nymph legs

I'm having trouble with the "legs" part.

After the body is tied and wrapped with wire, i tie in about 10 fibers in the middle of the shank for the wingcase/legs. Next I tie in and wrap the peacock herl. Now I fold the pheasant fibers over the top of the herl to make the wingcase and capture them with a few wraps of thread. HERE is the hard part: when i fold the wingcase fibers back over again to make the legs, it looks like garbage. They lay flat against the thorax and are not symmetrical, and are crowded on top in one spot. If any one has any tips or video's i'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginner tying troubles with pheasant tail nymph legs

First I see that this is your first post so welcome 10trout. Hard to tell what your specific problem is without seeing your pheasant tail nymph. Just Google "how to tie a Pheasant Tail Nymph", and you will get a couple of video options. I like the long one.
One of the best tyers around, Charlie Craven, trims the legs on his PTN's after he ties them back. Hard to say why they wind up on top, but a guess would be the same we all went through, and that is you need to learn to pinch material against the shank where you want it then tie-in.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey 10trout welcome to the forum. The pheasant tail nymph is a great choice for a pattern-- and Jimmie gave you great advice.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. When you get to the point where you pull over the fibers for the thorax, take a few turns of thread to keep them in place over the top ot the peacock. The tips of the pheasant fibers should be pointing out directly over the eye.

Assuming your right handed,

Leave the thread bobbin hanging behind the eye

With your right hand using a bodkin or fingers, divide the tips into two bunches, and stroke one bunch along the near side of the hook and one bunch along the far side of the hook for legs.

Hold the two bunches of fibers in place with your left hand pinching the far and near side fibers together with your thumb and index finger of your left hand while you take a two or three turns of thread over the fibers to lock them in place.

If you used 6 pheasant fibers for the wing case over the thorax you should end up with 3 legs pointing back on each side.

I hope this helps--- if it doesn't, feel free to post some pics and maybe we can give you better advice.

And keep asking questions-- I'm sure you'll have a ton of them as you get into it-- we all learn a lot from each other here.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

+1 What Mark said.

The other thing that you might be having problems with is running short of PT and getting too close to the thicker butt ends. What you can do in this instance is to tie off your original PT just prior to the thorax and trim. Tie in another bunch with enough of the tips sticking out past the eye. Wrap your peacock over top of this, pull your over your thorax and trim. Take the tips, divide, hold to the sides of the thorax and tie in.

Pics of what it looks like now would help us help you though.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Assuming your right handed,

Leave the thread bobbin hanging behind the eye

With your right hand using a bodkin or fingers, divide the tips into two bunches, and stroke one bunch along the near side of the hook and one bunch along the far side of the hook for legs.

Hold the two bunches of fibers in place with your left hand pinching the far and near side fibers together with your thumb and index finger of your left hand while you take a two or three turns of thread over the fibers to lock them in place.

If you used 6 pheasant fibers for the wing case over the thorax you should end up with 3 legs pointing back on each side.
I almost totally agree with this.

My take- unless the PT you're tying is really small, 6 fibers isn't enough to make an accurate and noticeable wing case. I'd use more like 10-12, and divide them into three groups- left, middle and right. Snip the middle group, and then proceed with tying in the others as Mark suggested.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

jpd5184 is on a distinguished road

i usually use size 18 PT nymps and dont tye legs on them. for anything bigger i usually do.

i use three PT fibers because thats how many you use for a tail. just wrap the fibers up. tye them off. tye in the herl and pull the fibers over.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, on a PTN any smaller than a 14 I don't tie the legs on. I just snip everything and it really doesn't make all that much of a difference I don't think..
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

To look at a mayfly nymph, the leggs are very small (much smaller than a pheasant tail barb) best to go with somthing like starling, or partridge even on bigger sizes and very sparsely at that. I have tied them with both and on #16 - #20 actualy found they worked better with out leggs on pickey trout

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I do for legs on nymphs. It is not a complicated procedure and results in some nice looking legs.

The first photos are from tying one of my specialized nymphs called KG's South Fork Special, followed by a photo of a completed Pheasant-tail nymph. The process on the Pheasant-tail nymph is exactly the same as the photos for the SF Special, I just don't have any photos of the PT nymph tying steps.

Hope this helps in adding a new tying skill for attaching realistic looking legs to nymph patterns.

Click the image to open in full size.

Top view of South Fork Special:

Top view of finished Pheasant-tail nymph:

Hope this helps.

Kelly.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 AM

10trout is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys so much. All the advice was very helpfull. The i think i'm making improvement. THis site is excellent!