The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM

brandy will become famous soon enough
Default My son's first fly

So I took my fly rod to the back yard to practice a little last night and my son asked me how we catch fish with that pole. Trying to figure out how to explain it, I asked him if he wanted to try. We stood in the back yard practicing our casting as he showed his talent and listening skills. Keep in mind that he is only 7. He learned how to false cast, how to lay the line down, and how to shoot line...when it came to the roll cast, that wasn't fun to him.

So the next question was....with a big grin....can I tie flies too? Here are the results of that...
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My son's first fly

Brandy,

He is too cute! Every time I see a parent giving their children a fly rod instead of a four wheeler I thank God for good parents. Bravo!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That's pretty awesome. I wish someone would have taught me at that age...at my advanced age, new things come hard....

Get that kid on the water!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Awesome! I have a 5 and a 3 year old that I took to the local fly fishing expo in Idaho Falls this year. They had a youth section where you could help kids tie flies. I took turns tying with each of my kids. I would just ask them what material they wanted to use and we would tie stuff on a hook. One ended up looking like a Wooly Bugger! Anyway, my kids still love their flies and love to watch Dad tie too!

Tell your kid congrats on that worm. It looks great!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

hi nice thread,nice photos,nice kid...lucky to begin so early.I was in charge with a flyfishing school ...years ago...and it was a great pleasure to teach children.If you've got a water hose or a big rope it migth help to show and explain how the roll cast works...without any rod...with the rod tell him to make the loop behind the rod...not easy to explain with words even in french...but for sure a very useful cast.Hope he'll catch his first fish soon with his dad!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Please tell him that is a good looking San Juan Worm. Good for you to get him started at his age.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Brandy-

Great stuff!! I love to see kids get into it. You can feel the deep concentration going on in those pics -he looks totally absorbed. Who needs video games when you can tie and fish?

Hope you can get him out to a local spot for bluegill soon. They're usually not too picky and would gobble up flies if you can find a good lake or pond nearby. It would be fun for the kids--- and mom too.

mark
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for loving this as much as I did. I think the next pattern will be some foam beetles and easy stuff.

Mark- The St. Louis ponds that I have been telling you about have bluegill. He will love that.

Hardyreels- Every parent should love kids being artistic. Nature will never be substituted with anything. I'm just glad that they enjoy doing something that we can all do together.

So far, I have 2 out of 3 kids fly fishing with me. This is the first year for all of us and not 2 weeks ago I was tying my first fly....talk about being contagious...
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Nice!!! And good for you gettin' him started early. Wish I had somebody startin' me off.Taught myself everythin'. Tell him he ties better SJW's than me. Really nice
Old 05-23-2009, 07:07 AM

travis0654 is on a distinguished road

I always like to see kids getting into the outdoor sports like hunting and fishing. Kids these days like there ipods and cell phones and have no interest in fishing or hunting.