The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road
Default Materials.

So, where is the best place you guys buy your materials, deal wise? I am looking at buying some multi pack hooks as well, any good deals in mind?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Materials.

For Hooks you might try Allen Fly Fishing
Many on this forum has refered them to me for great hook deals. They have flies too, I'm not sure about materials

Material you might try:

Blue Ribbon Flies
Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials
http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/nat...tt/Natures.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

driftlessman: Checkout the items Smallieman has for sale:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post198657

Larry

Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 PM

garden knowm is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend Allen Fly Fishing for hooks. Great hooks and you won't find a better price.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 AM

robbyjoe01 is on a distinguished road

A great place I've found is Arts and Crafts shops. Wal Mart's hobby section also has
materials you can use. Talk to hunters you might get a great deal on a skin. Thinking
outside the fly shop could save you money not to mention something different
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Depends on what you're looking for- when you say "deal wise" are you looking ot buy materials in bulk?

I've seen hooks sold in 1000s, and one of the few places I've seen that allows you to mix sizes within a style *IS* Allen Fly Fishing.

But you won't find necks/capes/saddles in bulk, or most other materials unless you have a resale license and you're buying by the dozen or gross from manufacturers.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Allen Fly Fishing hooks are good. I just used some. I haven't tried them fishing yet. I did touch it up with hook hone. For the price, I think you can't beat them. I like J Stockard, Conranch Hackle, Feather-Craft, Scott's Fly Shop on Ebay, and I do buy on Ebay as well. It just depends on what I need. I cannot find everything I want in one place. I buy from lots of different dealers.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

I will have to say, that one advantage to being a hunter, is having and abundance of rabbit, squirrel, and deer hair, ect. And I will definetly be checking out Allen, for some hooks! Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well you are lucky you can hunt and get some of your materials. I think you will like Allen hooks.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with one place is, there is no one place that carries everything you will someday want. I get some from Angler's Workshop, The Fly Shop of Redding CA, Cabella's, Feather Craft and a few others. If at all possible when traveling, I stop at local shops and buy stuff like Marabou, bucktail, deer hair, and stuff that is not all created equal. I on occasion order these things from a catalog, because I don't live anywhere near a fly shop, but you don't always get exactly what you want. Like bucktail that is real long and thin which won't flair, or deer hair that is long enough for big pike flies. Nothing beats looking at it first. Cabela's has a lot of great stuff, but does not carry things like Argus Pheasant feathers. Anglers workshop has Argus Pheasant feathers, but does not carry some of the stuff I may want to order along with my fly tying stuff. I would never be able to survive on one place. You would likely be better off not trying to either.

Oh and road kill