The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 01:13 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default beads for bead head flies

i need some egg colored beads with large hole for egg sucking leach patterns.. do any of you know where i can get glass beads with larger holes in a variety of colors?? thanks dave..
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: beads for bead head flies

here's a suggestion. if you go to a craft store they should have craft fur balls. i use those and they seem to work just wonderful. and only cost about $3 for 50 or so and you can get a multitude of colors and sizes.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The problem you might find with glass beads for that application is getting some with big enough holes to slide onto the hook, but not so big that it will slide right over the eye of the hook. You can build up thread there and then apply super glue to hold them in place, but that might get kind of old.

There's a couple of other ways to do that you might like better. You can use Glo bug yarn, which is really quite easy to use. Here's a good idea to make it even easier: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...31504fotw.html

You could also get the colored glue gun sticks that look like salmon egg colors. Here's some instruction on how to use them: http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/...eggs/glue_egg/

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

One possibility you might consider is using a hot glue gun & a package of "glue sticks" from your local fly shop. I use this method to make "egg clusters" for salmon & steelhead. I use a #6 scud hook, put the hook in the vise, add a little squirt of glue & rotate the vise until it cools enough, or even dip it into some water. I build the pattern up with consecutive "little squirts" in order to build up a three egg cluster. ( This method mimics what Cliff said earlier & it works well. The egg will not come off, even if the other materials do. )

I would certainly believe that you could build the "egg" part of an egg-sucking
leach at the eye end of the hook easily this way & then tie the remaining materials behind the egg.

Good luck,

Tie One On
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Another way is to get some big fluffy chennille in the colors you want and just make the wraps form an egg shape. No new tools or techniques needed for that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.