The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Larva shells

While perusing for some fly tying tools and material, I ran across someone selling larva shells. I don't remember where I saw them and I am wondering if anybody has seen them and/or used them for tying larva nymph flies and what your opinion is. My father used to raise corn meal maggots in old corn meal that he would get from a mill. They were very effective on bream and crappie and an occasional bass. I would like to tie come fly dupes and was thinking these larva shells might work.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Larva shells

DixieJack-

I haven't seen those larva shells, but here's a simple maggot pattern, by way of Alaska (?) you could try

Alaska Flyfishing - Brad Hanson's Salmon Maggot Fly Pattern for Trout, Grayling, Dolly Varden in Alaska

A similar pattern to a maggot as far as tying goes, is a caddis larva pattern for trout called the Green Rock Worm. Itís a very productive pattern fished in riffles and looks just like the real critter.
Bob Jacklin's Green Caddis Rock Worm - 4:44

You could just use different colors to tie up a maggot flavored one for gills and crappie, though chartreuse would probably be a good color to try for them too.

And, here's another quick and easy pattern you might want to try at some point for crappie
Crappie Candy - "Fly of the Week #198 - FAOL"

Good luck,

mark
Old 05-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info. All three look good with the Salmon Maggot coming as close as the real thing.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:59 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Here's a maggot i fish regularly.......also passes as grub.

Hook: size 8 to 12 straight shank any brand
thread: 6/0 black
Body: latex/elastic/larva lace (I color it by using colored elastics...or latex and marker.)
Head: Thread

Tye in the body...wrap it to realistic shape....finish with a thread head. Super glue thread.

I get the latex from "surgical gloves" from the local walmart.....and I use tan or colored elastics. The larva lace I reserve for "ultra realistic" versions.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"