The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 AM

bs1784 is on a distinguished road
Question Basic Patterns

I just bought the necessary materials to tie my own flies. I bought a Renzetti Traveler Vise, a set of Dr. Slick tools, and the materials to tie wooly buggers in black and olive. All of it was 30% off!

I started tying last night, I watched a video and just wung it. I only tied two flies because it took me a while but they look half decent. I couldn't find a good instructional on the whip finish so that really took me a while. Anybody have any go to sites for fly tying instruction?

Also, what are the best starter patterns to learn to tie? I will be fishing primarily for trout over the next few months.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Basic Patterns

A Fly Tying Workshop and Instruction Tie1On.Net
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

There are hundreds of fly tying videos on YouTube, just do a search.
Here is a sample I did searching for "fly tying lessons":
YouTube - fly tying lessons
Also Charlie Craven's site has 168 patterns listed in a step-by-step process.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry

Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

First congratulations on your vise and tools. You got the really good stuff to last a lifetime.
+1 on what the guys above said. I didn't even know those two instuctional sites existed. They look good.
Here are a few flies that we tied when I started.
Caddis Pupa
Wooly Bugger
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Adams
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Great selection of videos here, including one on the whip finish

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

High bs1754
Where in NJ are you at. My TU chapter has lessons & we put on demos occasionally. Did you go to the FF Show in Somerset last weekend? We run occasional programs at the Pequest State Hatchery also. There are a lot of programs & demos this time of year. Ck out your local Library for some videos too.

Neil