The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Hard head colored cement???

I been looking into this hard head cement instead of using epoxy, is it good stuff and hold up when struck by big fish????
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hard head colored cement???

I use the clear cement and have never had one of thease flies come apart
the clear i find good for bodys too
The only fish I have caught are trout and perch (not had much luck with salmon on a fly)

Chris
Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

EDIT!- I originally bad-mouthed the stuff, but was actually recalling my experience with another product.

I thought I used to use it, but Hard-as-Hull in the blue bottle is what I was thinking of. I've not yet used Hard Head. Haven't used it yet, but I've heard great stuff about Loon's UV Knot Sense as a Epoxy replacement.

Epoxy will always be the best for a hard shell. If you're after something that will penetrate thread really well to keep thread wrapping from coming apart, give the thin liquid superglues a try.

To quickly build up a bulky head, try hot glue. They even have hot glue sticks out now with pearl and silver glitter in them, which are quite handy as baitfish heads. Hot glue heads on Clousers also keep grass from hanging on the eyes, as well as adding a realistic head. Its a little tricky to get them just right, so I would dig up some "junk" flies to practice with. (doll/googly eyes need to be stuck on REAL quick)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Where to start?

1. loon is great stuff......using the flo yellow on bass flies and bucktail jigs. Clear works great too.

2. Hot melt glue........assorted colors and variations like metallics....makes a great egg fly.....and ants.(glue-stix.com)

3. Epoxy is still the king.

4. Anybody try the "Rimmel 60 second vinyl shine" #581 clear........more flex than the sally hanson hard as nails. Using it as an alternative to CNA on larger flies.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM

redfishGa is on a distinguished road

I love the loon stuff. I make heads on tarpon flies and i use them for surf candy like flies for speckled trout
Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The Loon stuff like Hard Head is pretty good, though sometimes it gets a bit gloppy (thick) You can cut it with Rubbing Alcohol (cheaper than the thinner)

Epoxy is the toughest though. I save jar lids to mix the 2 parts. You can color tint epoxy by scribbling with a colored marker, then dragging the epoxy over the scribbling to tint it with the ink.

With the Hard Head and Epoxy, you'd want a fly turner to prevent it from sagging-- I use a cheap rotary grill motor that runs on AC (the long shaft is set through the open handle parts of a milk crate and the prongs (that would hold meat on a grill) get speared into a styrofoam block to hold flies.

You can also use stuff like Testors acrylic paint used to paint plastic models (from a craft or hobby store) if you want to get different colored heads- i do that on some tarpon flies, then coat with clear Sally Hansens Hard As Nails.

mark
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Tips and tech !!!!!!

Love it.......gotta build the turner!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all for the help!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I had to correct myself, see above for more on-

Quote:
EDIT!- I originally bad-mouthed the stuff, but was actually recalling my experience with another product.

I thought I used to use it, but Hard-as-Hull in the blue bottle is what I was thinking of....

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM

I wanted to use the hard head for making different colored heads on my streamers, but since we mostly agreed the you couldnt beat epoxy, I compromised. I bought some clear 5 min epoxy and added a SMALL amount of black acrylic craft paint into it and built up my head. After drying I painted eyes on with the same type of paint then added a clear coat of epoxy to harden everything, What do you all think???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leech head 005.jpg (80.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg leech head 002.jpg (63.5 KB, 22 views)