Hard head colored cement???

kruggy1

Reaction score
I been looking into this hard head cement instead of using epoxy, is it good stuff and hold up when struck by big fish????

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
I use the clear cement and have never had one of thease flies come apart
the clear i find good for bodys too
The only fish I have caught are trout and perch (not had much luck with salmon on a fly)

Chris

BigCliff

Reaction score
EDIT!- I originally bad-mouthed the stuff, but was actually recalling my experience with another product.

I thought I used to use it, but Hard-as-Hull in the blue bottle is what I was thinking of. I've not yet used Hard Head. Haven't used it yet, but I've heard great stuff about Loon's UV Knot Sense as a Epoxy replacement.

Epoxy will always be the best for a hard shell. If you're after something that will penetrate thread really well to keep thread wrapping from coming apart, give the thin liquid superglues a try.

To quickly build up a bulky head, try hot glue. They even have hot glue sticks out now with pearl and silver glitter in them, which are quite handy as baitfish heads. Hot glue heads on Clousers also keep grass from hanging on the eyes, as well as adding a realistic head. Its a little tricky to get them just right, so I would dig up some "junk" flies to practice with. (doll/googly eyes need to be stuck on REAL quick)

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Where to start?

1. loon is great stuff......using the flo yellow on bass flies and bucktail jigs. Clear works great too.

2. Hot melt glue........assorted colors and variations like metallics....makes a great egg fly.....and ants.(glue-stix.com)

3. Epoxy is still the king.

4. Anybody try the "Rimmel 60 second vinyl shine" #581 clear........more flex than the sally hanson hard as nails. Using it as an alternative to CNA on larger flies.

redfishGa

Reaction score
I love the loon stuff. I make heads on tarpon flies and i use them for surf candy like flies for speckled trout

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
The Loon stuff like Hard Head is pretty good, though sometimes it gets a bit gloppy (thick) You can cut it with Rubbing Alcohol (cheaper than the thinner)

Epoxy is the toughest though. I save jar lids to mix the 2 parts. You can color tint epoxy by scribbling with a colored marker, then dragging the epoxy over the scribbling to tint it with the ink.

With the Hard Head and Epoxy, you'd want a fly turner to prevent it from sagging-- I use a cheap rotary grill motor that runs on AC (the long shaft is set through the open handle parts of a milk crate and the prongs (that would hold meat on a grill) get speared into a styrofoam block to hold flies.

You can also use stuff like Testors acrylic paint used to paint plastic models (from a craft or hobby store) if you want to get different colored heads- i do that on some tarpon flies, then coat with clear Sally Hansens Hard As Nails.

mark

BigCliff

Reaction score
I had to correct myself, see above for more on-

EDIT!- I originally bad-mouthed the stuff, but was actually recalling my experience with another product.

I thought I used to use it, but Hard-as-Hull in the blue bottle is what I was thinking of....

kruggy1

Reaction score
I wanted to use the hard head for making different colored heads on my streamers, but since we mostly agreed the you couldnt beat epoxy, I compromised. I bought some clear 5 min epoxy and added a SMALL amount of black acrylic craft paint into it and built up my head. After drying I painted eyes on with the same type of paint then added a clear coat of epoxy to harden everything, What do you all think???

Attachments

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Target, WalMart, and others, carry Sally Hanson nail polish in waaay strange colors (Goth??) I use black, green, red sparkle-y, and a few others. Never had problems with it on the fly. If you think it possible to chip, cover it with the clear hard head. Costs a lot less than the colored hard head!!