The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Smallie patterns and colors

So i am looking to target the smallies this year and was wondering what everones favorite patterns are adn in what colors. any tying tutorials would be great too.

Thanks,

AB
Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smallie patterns and colors

Everyone has their own favorite patterns and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses about that. But as for colors it's my opinion that it far more important to match the water clarity than it is to "match the hatch".
By that I mean that stained waters need muted colors and gin clear water need bright colors
"Earth" colors like gold, yellow, olive, and brown work best in water that's stained. While bright, contracting colors like silver, white, red and pink are best in clear water. Chartreuse and black are good either way.
These are not hard and fast rules but more important than most people realize.
Try it, you'll see
Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ab, I use poppers, sliders, hoppers, cherynobyl ants, nymphs, streamers....It all depends on Mr Smallie's mood. Sometimes he's looking up, sometimes not; but when they decide what the special of the day is you better have something close.

When they get on a minnow bite; one of my favorites is a simple little white streamer. Bead chain eyes, pearl mylar body, and white marabou or wool tyed sparsely.

Dan
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

how do the EP minnow flies work for small mouth?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use 4 flies more than anything else. Funny bunny Emarald Shiner, black marabou leech, Dan's Crayfish, and Clousers. If you can't get them with these, they aren't there.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - Funny Bunny Emerald Shiner
Dan's Crayfish

If you want a recipe for the leech, let me know.

Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I use olive/brown crayfish, black wooly's, chamois leech's with a brown body, olive zonkers and white headed poppers with black/olive tails. I've had some luck on "gawdy" colors. It depends on the fish's mood and the confidence the fisherman has in their fly pattern
Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

My go to is a Chartruse Sneakey Pete. If I can't get them to look up I like a chartruse and white Clouser Deep Minnow, followed closely by a Olive Wooly Bugger with Chartruse and black rubber legs. As you can see I like Chartruse when I'm smallie fishing. However there are times when they want A big ol rust colored wb, or a blue and white Clouser deep minnow, or a foxy clouser (I just started tying this one last year and it really gained in status toward the end of the season), or a dan's crawfish. I fish a really shallow stream near my house that has some pigs in it, and I've caught a few of them on a Dan's crawfish as a dropper under a Sneakey Pete. The big ol swirls under the SP followed with it diving under is almost as good as them hitting the SP. Biggest thing is waiting until the "bobber" goes under before lifting the rod tip!
A word of warning....once you start catching smallies you won't want to fish for anything else....They are the closest thing to a redfish pull I've found in freshwater.
Good luck with them.
Stan
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliesrule View Post
I've caught a few of them on a Dan's crawfish as a dropper under a Sneakey Pete.
Stan
This is not a real good fly to use as dropper. When I designed it, I made it to crawl and hop the bottom like a real crayfish and not hang up. It's kinda weighted wrong for use as a dropper fly. The best way to fish this fly is to let it hit bottom, and then do short twitchy hops letting it sink back to the bottom and pause. I have had it hit on the first fall, and had it hit during the pause, but more often than not, it gets whacked the second you lift it for the next twitchy hop. I think you will have more luck with the fly loosing the sneaky Pete "bobber".

On a second note, I broke 5 of the line class records for Smallmouth over the years, and 3 of the records were on the leech pattern, one on the Funny Bunny Emerald Shiner and one on a Fire Tiger Clouser. My avatar is the one I broke the 16 lb. tippet record with, on the funny Bunny Emerald Shiner. Most of the reason none were on the Dan's Crayfish is, this is a pretty recent invention of mine. It works well enough that I use it to see how many fish I missed with the other flys. I can go through a spot and fish the Crayfish last and still get fish. It's my best "what did I miss fly".

Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My smallmouth fishing is done with 3 flies: white and chartreuse Clouser Minnow, usually with bead chain eyes (lead dumb bells can be hazardous to my lovely rods ); a Madame X; a very simply chartreuse foam hopper with an ice dub body, and rubber legs front and rear. The largest smallmouth I've caught took a Black Nose Dace, however. I was intending to fish a little Blue Wing Olive for trout that afternoon, but saw smallmouth in a frenzy. I snipped off the BWO, and tied on a Black Nose Dace for no reason at all. The funny thing is I haven't used a Dace since then.....

All of my Clousers are tied on #10 bass bug hooks, and the Madame X and foam hoppers are tied relatively small as well. The fish don't seem to mind, and I enjoy casting smaller flies on lighter rods.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have had success with most of the flies mentioned earlier, with the chartreuse and white clouser being the most productive. another pattern that has also been a good fly for me is an orange cone head wooly bugger in a 6 or 8.

casey

ARFE