Davie McPhail Ties a Rusty Rat in 2 Minutes

FrankB2

Reaction score
Davie is always reminding people to take their time tying, but decided to go for speed here (My thread title should have read 3 minutes):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj7szT7qOYs]YouTube - Tying a 3 minute Rusty Rat with Davie McPhail[/ame]

In music, it's often best to practice slowly in order to acheive speed. Davie is proof that this works, and there isn't a single wasted motion that I can see. I
do enjoy taking my time, but have learned quite a bit from Davie's very deliberate tying videos.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thanks for that Frank. I love watching him tie. He always has more room for a head than any tier I've seen yet all of his proportions look perfect.

mudbug

Reaction score
That guy drives me nuts with how simple he makes everything look.

I've watched almost all of his videos and nothing has been as easy as he makes it look.

ryboyd

Reaction score
I swear every time I watch that guy in some places it looks as if he is using three hands. Either way he is amazing.

gt05254

Reaction score
Agree with everybody about Davie's skill. I think he does the best "how to tie" videos out there. I've learned much from watching them, especially about various shrimp/prawn style patterns.
Gary

Pocono

Reaction score
Thanks Frank; nice video. Whatever that guy ties, it always comes out looking either perfect or pretty close to it.

Pocono

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have to say that after watching Davie tie just a few flies, my thread wraps dropped off dramatically. I no longer tie in tail fibers with a randomly chosen number of wraps, and try to limit myself to the absolute minimum. My flies hold up just as well as when I used more thread, and that was my only concern with less wraps.

kelkay

Reaction score
Davie is an awesome tyer. I have always enjoyed watching his videos. It must be nice to be that good. He does make it look easy. Something tells me he spent a tremendous time at the vise honing his skills, and now he is reaping the rewards.