The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Let's talk about that nymphs tail

Just to be clear, I am referencing the kind you put on a nymph.

Pheasant tail, biots, bucktail, turkey tail, trimmed brown, black or tan saddle feathers, and maribou.

I often get creative at the tying bench, and like to try different materials for tails on my flies, and was curious as to what material most of you find to be most effective and or use most often as a tail on your nymphs.

Lately it seems I have been using a lot of dark brown biot, and it seems to be working out. Just not sure it is the most effective.

Dave
Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Let's talk about that nymphs tail

Hi Dave,

Back when tying nymphs was part of my repertoire I used biot on stones because as tiers became more inclined toward realism I tried some of the well crafted designs. I always just used a sparse bunch of hackle fibers on mayfly nymphs and became a fan of soft hackle caddis with bodies ranging from dub, quill, to swanendaze (that translucent plastic wrap) I was never sure if having legs on a stone fly creeper made it work better or not but I labored at making them also. In spite of all my efforts with making really cool nymphs when I look back I don't think anything ever caught more than a Hares Ear with brass or copper wire for the rib / weight.

As I wrote the above I was thinking about the flies I make now. Tying a nice Santiam Spectrum is not a quick and easy thing but I had outstanding catches last year with the pattern. However I also had a week where a simple Skykomish Sunrise put more fish on shore than I could believe so.................... I'm not gonna be your best source of inspiration when it comes to the question you put forth by the look of it. I think we both do the same thing, we make what we want to make and then we go catch fish with it. When we have good results on something a little or a lot more articulated in its construction we are happy that the work was not in vain and when we knock em dead with a very simple tie we feel a little more traditional. Kinda like a compound bow or a long bow, they both take game and some have both.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hey Dave
Tailing is one place that I haven't deviated much from the recipes, but I'm going to start. There were some Coq De Leon tailing packs at a tyers demo we were at. They looked great. Plus, I've been interested since I saw (video) a tyer use it for a tail and legs on a split case nymph. It would also look good for calleabetis nymphs, IMO.

*you ever find whose fly from the Nymph Swap was in your fish pic?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hi Dave
You may use anything you like .I use partridge mostly but sometimes i use first thing I get my hands on
This stone clinger have moose tails

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Hi Dave
You may use anything you like .I use partridge mostly but sometimes i use first thing I get my hands on
This stone clinger have moose tails

Madjoni: That is one mean looking bug, do you wear gloves when handling it!

Larry

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
*you ever find whose fly from the Nymph Swap was in your fish pic?
Nope, not yet, I was trying to figure out what the body material was on that fly, the closest I have come so far is Ozark Turkey Tail quills wrapped around the hook shank.

Ard,
Yep, I like to play, and see what works well, what does not, I tie biots in sideways with a dubbing ball in between sometimes, sometimes, it is a cross pattern (horizontal) accross the top. I do like hares mask for tails as well, and have been tying hares ears with prism dubbing lately also. That prism dubbing has a lot of sparkle to it, and the fish seem to like it.

madjoni, nice bug! Have nto done much with partridge tails, but I do have some partridge, maybe I will give it a shot on a few.

There are so many cool materials out these days, I am working on my favorite winter fly swap flies right now, but I have been known to deviate from time to time, when I get tired of tying the same pattern over and over again. I have two tying vises so deviating does not impact me too much.

Dave
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Madjoni: That is one mean looking bug, do you wear gloves when handling it!

Larry
hahaha...nop
Winter is long and i make flies like this only then

I dont use nymphs much,but when i do i like something like this

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post

madjoni, nice bug! Have nto done much with partridge tails, but I do have some partridge, maybe I will give it a shot on a few.

There are so many cool materials out these days, I am working on my favorite winter fly swap flies right now, but I have been known to deviate from time to time, when I get tired of tying the same pattern over and over again. I have two tying vises so deviating does not impact me too much.

Dave
Thanks Dave

Yes there is plenty materials out there,but natural ones rules

Biots

CDC

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Nice nymphs, I also like to contrast my nymphs, dark and light, and often tie them with 2 or 3 colors of dubbing, I think it looks more like the naturals and they seem to work. Are you using a dark epoxy on the wing cases? If so, what are you using?

Again, cdc as a tail was not something I had tried, but looks buggy.

d
Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Nice nymphs, I also like to contrast my nymphs, dark and light, and often tie them with 2 or 3 colors of dubbing, I think it looks more like the naturals and they seem to work. Are you using a dark epoxy on the wing cases? If so, what are you using?

Again, cdc as a tail was not something I had tried, but looks buggy.

d
Thanks
I dont use dark epoxy.Never seen such thing in our stores
I use average,clear epoxy ..and color comes from dark wingcase .

CDC? Well,europian grayling is one clever and hard to get fish sometimes.It likes slimy looking nymphs
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Since I hunt turkeys and the feathers are free, I use them a lot!