The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
jaker1011 is on a distinguished road
little brown trout

What dose anyone think about a little brown trout, tied with EP fibers? the normal bucktail streamer is a killer, but what if it had the movement of the EP fibers? just throwing it out there.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: little brown trout

It would probably work fine. The only drawback with EP fibers is that they tend to get mangled after a fish, and might be a little more wind resistant than bucktail as far as casting (depending how heavily dressed you tie it.)

There's something about the classic patterns, that makes me shy away from synthetics just in terms of aesthetics- I'm sure they'd catch just as well.

BTW, another classic pattern I like is the Shushan Postmaster (i tie it without the Jungle Cock cheeks). It is another good little brown trout imitation.

ClassicFlyTying.com - Shushan Postmaster
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

A little brown trout with EP fibres would have problems capturing the multi color, mottled , subdued look of gray squirlle, would it not? Just tossin' that aspect out there.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM
jaker1011 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the tips, and I will try the Shushan Postmaster. Where I fish there are tons of little brown trout, so good little brown trout flies are needed
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I like the little Brook Trout
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oatman brook trout.jpg (20.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I developed the BT Slayer.......tyed for the streamer swap. To catch browns and brookies here in maine. But the origins are from the Little Brookie and Brown series. I'll have to try the Shushan.........

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

FISHN50, that is a sweet streamer. Is that by any chance the oatman????
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead Junkie View Post
FISHN50, that is a sweet streamer. Is that by any chance the oatman????

Yep, That's an Oatman pattern & they are dynamite early season flies....
Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Ive been playing around with EP fibers for a while now. One thing i can say is their are 2 ways to do a pattern with it. One is easier to do by simply layering the fibers till you get an over all profile then trim. The other well, its hard. It involves starting at the back and folding it as you go. Bad thing about it, if you dont get the last part just right, the fly looks like poooo. I beleave it is called the Peanut butter minnow. I guess if your needing a long slender the basic stacking will work great. But if you want a tall profile like a sun fish the peanut butter is the way to do. A google search of peanut butter fly will show you what to do.