The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Hex Time!!!

I leave in the morning for 9 glorious days of fishing in Grayling. I'm hoping to hit the Hex, and top my best fish. I'll be in Heaven..

Dan
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hex Time!!!

Fished last night, with the rain coming it wasn't too promising; but it is fishing time. We went to one of my favorite stretches of the Manistee, and fished in spite of the rain. Between showers we started seeing the occasional Hex; just enough to get our hopes up.

The rain pretty much quit and the magic started; Hex on the water and fish starting to feed. Lots of little guys slashing at anything that looked buggy in the middle of the river. Then one of the big guys started feeding tight to the grass; very nice fish.

There were almost too many flies on the water; I had hatchers and spinners in front of me, and all over me, it was awesome. I tried for the big guy, but he's waiting for me to come back tonight, and I'll be there.

One final note; it's a ***** getting older....Getting tough to tye on a new fly at night, even with a light...lol

Dan
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Sounds like your havin' a blast. Wish I was there. LOL. Get that big guy and show 'em to us. That would be cool
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM

My 9 days turned into 11; it's great not having to live around a work schedule. My Hex fishing wasn't the greatest; the weather was unbelievable for late June early July. We had rain and cold for about 5 days straight, 3 or 4 days where the high was 59; not very conducive to good Hex fishing, but you go with the flow.

I had some good nights and some sucky nights, but that's fishing. One of my highlights was the 10 inch brookie; took him on a greenish colored stonefly. The night I took him we had a great hatch going later for the Hex, it was still light enough to see them hatching; which made for some entertainment. I had to share my honeyhole with a hen mallard and her brood of 8; they were enjoying the hatch as much as I was. They did become a problem when they moved into the pocket where I had a big fish feeding; didn't want to cast with them there.

I had an evening with hatchers and spinners on the water at the same time, makes for a tough session. My second to last night saw a slow sustained hatch that started about 8:30 in the evening and went til 10:30 at least and really got the fish going. I was fishing this spot for the first time, and a fellow that I have been seeing at the access point for years was kind enough to point out some of the better spots. I offered to move down a ways, but he said he had a fish he wanted to play with down farther. When the hatch got going there were a lot of smaller fish feeding as usual, they're fun to play with until the big ones start feeding after it gets a little darker.

About 10:30, two very nice fish started feeding in a well protected little cove; it was a tough spot to get a fly into when it's dark. I finally got the range on the bigger fish holding spot and got a good drift into him, he took the fly and I set the hook; had him for about two headshakes and he was gone. I went to the grass bank and sat down, after a bit he started feeding again; so I went back for round two. Made a few casts, I missed a couple of times and contributed flies to appease the fish spirits (read that as overcast into a snag ..lol), then got a decent cast in the right place. The fish took I struck and again 2 or 3 headshakes and he was gone. Long story short, I fished him for an hour and a half and the score was Brown 3, Dan 0; but that's fishing.

I also fished some during the day when I went and fished the Black River near Gaylord. I have never fished it before, and I got the info on where to fish it from a local flyshop. The area I fished was a small stream with little pocket pools and riffles. I popped the cherry on my new Ross 3wt on some beautiful wild Brookies; and I will definitely be going back there.

I also found a spot that I will fish next year on another small stream...

Dan
Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I'm really sorry I didn't get up this year. Although I did get a couple of decent fish on drakes. But, I have one buddy that got a 26", and two others that each got 28" browns all on the Manistee!