The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 PM

JStoner is on a distinguished road
Default Help please!!!

I live in Lake County Indiana and am new to the wonderful world of fly fishing. I was wondering if I could get some tips as to where I should be fishing and what flies I should be using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
Old 07-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please!!!

Jonathan: The first place I would try would be to see if there are any local fly shops in your area, stop in and ask questions. The next would be to see if Trout Unlimited has a local chapter in the area, if so I would highly recommend joining and asking the membership for help. Most folks will gladly help you get started.

Larry
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Larry. A local Fly shop is the place to start.

They'll have a good working knowledge of all of the fishable water in your area and will be able to put you into reasonable flies and other equipment suitable for whatever species you want of fish; trout, bass, bluegills, etc.

If there aren't any Fly Shops around, then go online and browse your State Fish and Game Department. They'll also have lots of information on fishable water in your area and may have some information on equipment and flies/lures that are used frequently.

If trout are what you want to fish for and if there are trout waters in your area, then it's highly likely that you'll find a Trout Unlimited chapter not far away. They're a great organization and can provide you with all sorts of benefits plus, probably, some new fishing buddies.

Pocono
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Fly fishing really isn't very popular so there aren't any fly shops around me so I'll be sure to look some stuff up online.

Jonathan
Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Johnahan,

Click on the below link. It looked pretty good to me on a quick scan.

It starts out with a map that will help orient you for both fishable water and Fly Shops in Indiana. Below the map it provides a series of links that look like they might be useful to you.

Fly Fishing in Indiana - Fly Fishing Community

Good luck! Let us know how you make out and feel free to ask questions on this forum as you move ahead with fly fishing.

Pocono
Old 07-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Johnahan,

Click on the below link. It looked pretty good to me on a quick scan.

It starts out with a map that will help orient you for both fishable water and Fly Shops in Indiana. Below the map it provides a series of links that look like they might be useful to you.

Fly Fishing in Indiana - Fly Fishing Community

Good luck! Let us know how you make out and feel free to ask questions on this forum as you move ahead with fly fishing.

Pocono

Thanks for all the help Pocono. I can see already that joining this site was a great decision. I'll be sure to give you updates in the future.

Jonathan
Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jonathan,

You've gotten great advice.

Hooking up with a group like Trout Unlimited or a club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers (Tu and FFF each have three affiliated clubs in Indiana). They’re both great groups with informative meetings, group trips, casting clinics, tying classes etc. They could be great to hook up with to meet some new fishing buddies. You can do a search here for FFF clubs:
Locate a Club
and here for TU to see if there is something close to you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

As far as where to go, here’s a link to the IN DNR ‘s fishing main page with tons of links, including a where to go fish finder, trout stocking and trout streams, fishing reports etc:
DNR: Fishing Information

I imagine that most of the fishing out your way will be warm water stuff like bass and panfish especially this time of year, in terms of availability but it looks like there’s some opportunities for trout too and some opportunities for steelhead and pacific salmon in water dumping into Lake Michigan (Little Calumet River, Trail Creek, and Salt Creek).

I'm sure folks could give you a lot of suggestions for flies too, but let us know what you'll be chasing and the line weight your rod so they'll be easy to throw.

Good luck and let us know.

mark