The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default 3/5/2011 - 3/7/2011 Chrome and gold, the colors of March!

Weather changes from March 5th started to slow fishing, but with temperatures back on the rise, fishing has picked back up. On 3/5/2011, fished in brutal conditions. High winds and a wind chill of ten degrees made fishing less than tolerable. I landed a radiant, chrome hen Steelhead that weighed about 5 pounds. The only shimmering moment on a blustery, gloomy day. On 3/6/2011, I fished with local angler Kyle. Kyle Landed the only fish of the day. He brought in a 6 pound male Steelhead. Kyle had never caught a winter Steelie, but catches them regularly during the spring and fall seasons. Chris G. made it to the river on 3/7/2011 before I arrived. He had some clients out of Marquette come into the shop to order flies and get some advice about the fishery. I met up with Chris around 2 pm. Fishing appeared to be taking back off. I lost a brute of a Steelhead when I first arrived and lost another shortly after. I did manage to wrestle two dandy Brown Trout into the net. The first being around 7 pounds and the second about 3 pounds. All fish were taken on the same size 8 Clown Egg pattern.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3/5/2011 - 3/7/2011 Chrome and gold, the colors of March!

Hero shots should be illegal in winter, unless you're legally killing the fish anyway. You can pretty much color that fish in the snow dead.
Just a thought,
Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Nice fish, but dang does it look cold .......thanks for sharing the pic's

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

It's funny you mention that popperfly, the day I landed the nicer hen I got my foot stuck in a crack on the river bottom while fighting her and went down face first. I semi caught myself but too late, water from the current blasted me in the face, neck and down the front of my waders. We didn't stay out much later than that. We have had a lot of calls for trips lately and some (when finding out the temperature) say, "We'll come up as soon as it warms up up there." Thanks again for the comments tight lines to you!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

James: Congrats on the great fish, that Brown was just awesome!

Larry