The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default 2010 list to do...

Guys..

I am doing my research and these are the waters I am planning on hitting this next year

If you are interested please post on what creek or river and We will set a date..

Smallmouth
1. Mazon River, il
2. Vermillion River, il
3 Big Bureau Creek ,il
4. Green River, il
5. Turtle Creek, WI
6. Apple, IL
7. Kalamazoo River,MI

Trout
1. Allen Creek, WI
2. Hefty Creek WI
3. Mt. Vernon Creek WI
4. Willow Creek, WI
5. Big Mill Creek , Iowa
6 Cobus Creek , IN
7.Rogue River, MI

I am serious I would like to hit these. I have done some research and these waters look very promising... I am not saying I am guide on these waters but looked into it and looking to discover new waters.

I will mostly be fly fishing these waters but will bring my back up spinning combo...

If any one has any waters they want to try let me know I would explore them with you
Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2010 list to do...

If ya ever wnat to head a little farther south for new water give me a holler, the Little Red in AR(about 5 minutes from my front door) is great fishing for bows and browns with the chance for a brook. Its really getting good when its getting cold up in that neck of the country.
Bear (no I dont guide it) lol
Old 12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bear,

If I still lived in Colorado I would e there already.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The invite still stands Ard,
Bear
Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Here's my list by month/ location...

January: Steelhead somewhere in Steelhead Alley depending on the weather...

February: Same as above, as well as some saltwater fishing in and around Sarasota...

March: Steelhead somewhere in Steelhead Alley as well as the Pere Marquette in my home state...

April: Same as above, am I stuck in a rut? LOL

May: Turkey hunting and Trout and Morel Mushrooms; does life get any better? Smallmouth Bass is also on the list for May...

June: Brown Drake and Hex time in Northern Michigan....The Upper Manistee in particular, Smallmouth Bass on the streams of South East Michigan when I can't be Up North...

July: More Trout Up North, Smallmouth and Carp on my favorite Michigan streams...

August: Hopper Time...And White Fly and Hex time for Smallmouth on the upper Huron in Michigan...

September: Salmon on the PM; along with Smallmouth on my SEMI streams...

October: Bow season and Steelhead, Salmon, and Browns...

November: Gun season for Deer, Steelhead on various streams in Steelhead Alley and the West Coast of MI...

December: Bow and Muzzleloader for Deer, Steelhead on various streams in Steelhead Alley...

This list is not written in stone, who knows I may be able to convince the wife we need to go west sometime this summer; if so we'll be hitting some streams in ID, WY, or MT...

Dan
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The rivers here start breaking the ice up in April. The Warroad river goes out about the last two weeks in April. Big Pike start the spawning run right as the ice comes off. The Lake (Lake of the Woods) will have ice on it till the beginning of May (beginning of the second week or so) on a normal year. The last two years though it has been frozen over into June. I hit the big Pike fairly hard then. This year I am also going to fish Walleye. We have a season that runs till April 15th. The Rainy River opens a bit sooner than the Warroad. It may open to the lake by the 15th, but usually not. Big Walleye run the river for spawning. If I could get a 29"+ Walleye and not miss to much Northern fishing that would be great. Right after that the Big Smallies start showing up. I catch a ton of those till mid May and then hit the big Walleyes and Northerns again, but this time I have to use different tactics because they are in a different mode and area. I actually have it figured out here to where I can catch big fish from the time the ice goes out till it goes back on. It was pretty rare for me to go fishing this year and not get at least one pretty big fish. I averaged the Walleye I caught this summer and fall and it worked out to a 24 3/4" average. Can't do that in many places. I can't even begin to estimate the number of Pike over 40" I've caught here.

I am planning to go someplace warm this winter. It will be the first time I have left Minnesota in the winter. I think I'll drive South till somebody asks me what the electrical cord is hanging out of my car hood for. Then stop and look for fishing waters.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM

trident is on a distinguished road

Here is my list...

-Fish for steelies in MI
-smallies on the dupage
-Fox river mini expedition floating from wis border to the end!
-Tarpon and sharks in florida keys
-Perhaps a mako trip to san diego

You are all welcome to come along as long as youre not a peckerwood !
Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have on my list this year
Hot Creek
Hat Creek
Feather River and for still water (well kinda)
Pyramid Lake.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

My "For Sure," what I want to accomplish-

-Peacock bass, baby tarpon, and snook in south Florida
- Hit some excellent caddis hatches on a couple Ozark streams
- Do some more/better smallie fishing in the Ozarks and southern Illinois.
- Try for some asian carp at a couple hotspots
- Try for more catfish on a fly- blues and flatheads, ideall, on the Missouri River
-Stripers, white bass, and walleye fishing when they begin running
-Carp, somewhere

Other stuff I'm up for-

-NC striper fishing
- Hit an American shad run on the east coast
-Appalachian trout fishing
-Trout, smallmouth, pike and others in northern Michigan
-Trout fishing again out west- Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and/or Montana
-Redfishing the Gulf Coast- Texas or Louisiana
-Visiting a friend in San Angelo and doing some fishing for Guadalupe Bass

Way more than I'll likely get done, but I like to keep my options open : )
-

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM

trident is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah i almost forgot...
Redfish in louisiana!