The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road
Default Starter Areas In Michigan

Hey Guys,

I'm just starting out trout fishing on the fly here in Michigan and was wondering of any areas to start out on mid state and further north? Im not asking for a hole but just some basic spots that i can try out. I don't know many trout streams outside of the Ausable River and the Manistee River. Any information is appreciated

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Starter Areas In Michigan

Mikey,

Take a look at the Clinton and the North Branch of the Clinton as well as Paint Creek, they're not that far from you. The Clinton also has a small Steelhead run.

Dan
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Dont forget to try your hand at some of our fantastic smallmouth fishing as well. The Huron and the Raisen have given me some fantastic times that i would say rate right up there with trout up north. If you want some info about either, Pm me.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bi visable,

There are so many options in Michigan and I recommend you get this book.

Trout Streams of Michigan by Linsenman and Nevala. It is in it's Second Edition.

It will give you a run down on a lot of fishing including places to park, camp or stay. It covers all of Michigan and is well worth the cost. It is available
from Amazon from Amazon

Frank
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 PM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

Second the smallies idea, lots of still water where your at with good big mouth bass as well, if trout are a must look toward Wixom for stocker fest in the spring, also look for trout in Spring Mill pond and Trout lake, though they are a bit harder to get to.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

Love the bass fishing here in the summer! I don't think I could survive the summer without em