55 days until Wisconsin Small Stream Opener

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
55 days from now we will still be able to drive a full sized truck on the ice. We will probably need a second extention for the ice auger by then too, judging by how the winter is going so far. I have video of me a few years ago drilling a hole on Easter Sunday and putting the gear box in the hole before getting through the ice, and that was with one 12" extention. (Over 4' of ice)If the ice had been an inch thicker I wouldn't have made it. I need to find a warmer place to live in the winter.

rmooney

Reaction score
that will be a cold day in march :) the wisco season opener is the day of my 21st birthday!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Spinner,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. When I was fly fishing in California our Trout season opened May 1st. Up in the mountains there would still be a bunch of snow but that never stopped us from going fishing that first day.

One year my neighbor and I rented a boat and took off to Shaver Lake. It is up in the mountains and it was snowing hard. We hit the water not knowing where to go and couldn't see too far ahead. We passed a couple of big Rocks and as we got to the other side of the rocks there were three oriental fellows fishing there. They all three had a fish on. We turned around and went to the other side of the big rocks. They were big enough that we couldn't see or hear the other guys in the storm. We climb over the rocks and asked if they minded if we fished on the back side of the rocks. They gave us a thumbs up and we climbed back to our side. We started catching fish right away and for the next few hours the action was non stop. There was no casting you just laid a few feet of line and the leader on the water and that was all it took. The cold finally got to me and I quite fishing and bundled up as best I could. I wasn't dressed or prepared for a wet snow that never stopped. By the time we got back to the car I was soaked through and cold, cold. It was one of my best days of fishing.

Frank

Last edited:

LenHarris

Reaction score
Re: 51 days until Wisconsin Small Stream Opener

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

LenHarris

Reaction score
Re: 48 days until Wisconsin Small Stream Opener

Yes I know I am an hour early.
Wife dragging us to her mothers all day tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:58 PM ----------

I do.

LenHarris

Reaction score
46 days until Wisconsin Small Stream Opener

small water with lots of brookies