The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Question Help. New to flyfishing. Where should I go?

hello everyone,

I am new to flyfishing. I just purchased some equipment 8wt 9' rod. I had told the guy at bass pro I would be fishing mainly the dupage in plainfield looking for smallmouth mainly (but I'll try to catch anything I can) I just love to fish and haven't done it in a few years.I have fly fished a few small streams before catching dinks and am an ok caster. (been on the river a couple hours eachday this past week for the practice). My question is where should I go this wednesday to find some good fishing? I plan on making a nice long day of it sun up til just about sun down. I just am not familar with any of the fishing spots in the area. And also if anyone could make some recomendations to help a beginner learn some skills I would appreciate it. And if you want come join me.

Thanks for the help
Pat kinsella
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help. New to flyfishing. Where should I go?

Welcome to the forum, I bet you would get more feedback if you posted your location
Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the Dupage River in Plainwell, IL? Just a guess. I don't live out there anymore, but grew up outside of Chicago. I don't know any spots. But identifying where you're looking will help folks know what you're looking for.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Sorry I did leave the most important part out. I live in plainfield, il. Im just looking for a safe place to wade in at. I have been wading through the dupage river thats just down the bike path off of fraser rd bc its about 1/2 mile to the river from my backyard. I have mainly been worried about practicing my casts so ive gone out everyday since I have gotten the rod and waders. I am now looking for fish. One of my problems is I dont have much experience fishing moving waters. So any help for someone who is looking to learn.

Thanks
Pat Kinsella

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Are you talking about the Dupage River in Plainwell, IL? Just a guess. I don't live out there anymore, but grew up outside of Chicago. I don't know any spots. But identifying where you're looking will help folks know what you're looking for.
It is the Dupage river but I am located in plainfield Il. Thanks for the reply from the both of you I appreciate it
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pat: I don't live in that area so I can't help with finding places to fish, but would recommend you check out the local fly shop and ask them for recommendations and while you are there ask if there is a fly fishing club in your area. Learning to fly fish is so much easier if you have someone to mentor you and a fly fishing club is the best way to meet like minded folks willing to help a new fly fisher. You could also look on line for a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area. In the meantime, check out some of the videos on this site and then go to YouTube and search for fly fishing videos, you might search for things like: Fly fishing instruction, fly casting instruction, nymph fishing, etc. You will be amazed at the number of fly fishing videos there are on YouTube. Best of Luck.

Larry

Larry
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

thanks larry
I have been hitting youtube and forums and everything i can get my hands on. I just got back from some more practice in the river (water a bit murky from the rains) and i was working on my roll cast and trying to do a bit of mending as well. Everything went well. I felt more comfortable with my casts and started to sharpshoot through trees on the side I can put the fly where I want to most times. But what I am having trouble with finding the right fly for the fish I am after (smallmouth bass in the dupage river plainfield il). Ive tried to do some research and have varied crayfish type flies, wholly buggers, nymphs, muddler minows even tried a few poppers though I know its still a little cold. Im thinking I may need some help with my retrieve. I have tried to look for some classes but the closest thing is 4hrs away and 500 bucks. There is no local fly shop that I can find. So if someone out there can give me a place to go for some hands-on learning please let me know.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM

flybillinma is on a distinguished road

Outdoor writer Tom Meade at the Providence Journal gives big thumbs up to this book: Outdoor Notes: Advice on the fly from master angler Bob Sousa | projo.com | The Providence Journal Outdoors |
Good stuff for those just starting out. I notice too that Bob Sousa is a big stripper fan -- 99.9 per cent of the time the strippers take a chartreuse-and-white Clouser, he says. Interesting.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. Definitely gonna pick that book up with a few others I have been looking at. Plan on being on the river by 10am. Off to the basspro first to check on some different flies.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Well finally wasnt skunked today. Not saying I caught alot of fish (1 smallie) but it was a great day for casting. I went to silver spring state park in yorkville il. I wanted to work on my roll casting so I started here in the morning. I now roll cast better the a standard fly cast. Even got a few spey casts in the water.

But anyways back to the fish, I caught it on a white and tan clouser deep minnow. I was just making some short jerks running the flies along the shoreline.

Finished the night with a few hours in the dupage in plainfield Il. Started wading upstream from the bike tail off fraser rd then up the the old renwick bridge and back. No fish, few muskrats and met another fly fisherman who usually fishes for smallies just north of the old renwick bridge he had pulled one out today. Then came across a guy who had grown up on this river and was telling me a little more about the timing for the bass in this particular stretch. I cant wait for those bass.

Hopefully fishing the lake in the lakelands subdivision tomorrow for an hour or two. It used to be the old plainfield fishing club and its just loaded with bass and pike. Its now part of a gated community with very few fishermen. A thanks is in order to my friend for getting me in there.

And then heading to Sheboygan Wisconsin to fish the sheboygan river. Should be fun. I have to do a bit more research on that river. So if anyone here has fished it before any pointers would be great.

Thanks everyone for all the help, let you know tomorrow how it ends up. Bringin the camera with tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Well disaster struck yesterday on the sheboygan river. After 30 minutes of getting my gear together, it only took 5 minutes of casting for my rod to snap in half and fall into the water in front of me. lol just my luck. Did some research and bought a tfo lefty kreh pro series 8wt today. will hit the dupage tomorrow.