The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Fresh Water Lamprey In Crawford County

YouTube - lamprey

four of them. Looked like they were spawning maybe.

First time i have seen one close up and now I saw 4 all at once.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

American brook lamprey (Lampetra appendix) - FactSheet
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fresh Water Lamprey In Crawford County

photo from yesterday

Click the image to open in full size.

a big brown articulated leech now would catch some monster browns or a soft brown jig imitation.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM

A hatchery existed along Kettle Brook in Connecticut, in the mid 1950s. There was a cross exposure to the trout they had there and American Brook Lamprey were introduced to our streams. Now they are quite prevalent in our Midwestern streams. They are typically 3-10 inches long. They are considered non-parasitic lamprey. Brook lamprey are only found in clear, cold brooks and small streams. Their skin is leathery and smooth and without scales. Adults have a dark back, pale belly, yellowish fins and a dark blotch at the end of the tail. They have disc like mouths with teeth. The teeth are poorly developed. They are unable to attach to a fish. Male lamprey grow bigger than females.

They spawn in late spring near the end of April in Wisconsin Streams.The males with help from the females construct small nests by picking up pebbles with their mouths and moving them to shallow depressions. The sticky eggs are deposited in the nest and adhere to the sand and gravel. The embryos hatch in about three weeks. Young lamprey float downstream upon hatching and eventually burrow into the sand and silt where they live for 3-7 years. They feed on microscopic life and animal matter (protozoans, diatoms, algae, desmids, and pollen). Adult lamprey change colors just before they emerge from the silt and rocks. Adult brook lamprey cannot eat because they are not equipped with a functional small intestine and only live for four to six months.

I found a couple nests yesterday in a stream in Crawford County. There were four of them building nests. At first I bristled and thought seriously about stomping on them. I resisted the temptation and rightly so. I research them the last two days. They are not like their great lakes cousins. Killing anything no matter how ugly and not eating it is not what I believe in.

My next thought was where can I find something that looks like them because they have to be excellent table fare for big hungry browns. My search was rewarded with me finding some brownish green articulated leech flies that will fit the bill. I also found some soft plastic lures too. Going to give it a try soon on local streams.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road

fished an imitation in my local trempealeau county stream and caught an 18 in brookie on it