The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Trout Stocking

I have a question for you guys. First I live in IL and the closest think to trout fishing we have is the Annually Stocking in April. This is a cluster when people pack in arm to arm and use marshmallow floats to catch these trout. The first day all the stupid trout get caught but a week into it the smart ones hang around.

I was looking to use my fly rod to catch these any ideas on what flies to tie? Also there are a few creeks with fast moving water they stock and these fish last till mid June as long no major flooding. So I was thinking how do I catch these. All these fish are pellet feed do they have their natural instincts still
Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trout Stocking

For flies, I would use a pheasant tail or anyother type of popular nymph(copper john, prince, hares ear) from sizes 12-16. Here in NJ many streams are stocked and in the hatchery the trout are fed pellots. The fish survive all year round and the best way to catch the fish is with a fly rod. With that said, my guess is that the trout feed using their natural instinks.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:25 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Smallie--
I'm in the same boat in KC...

I've had success w/ the stockers on (of course) woolies, and other 'streamers'-- white jig head maribou things work well around here....

Never had much luck with dries-- but any nymphs as was mentioned should be a pretty good gamble as well-- also any nymphs that are brownish and ,at first glance, look like a pellet......

I also tend to throw things that bass and panfishies will like as well-- In that situation, I don't want to just limit myself to the stocker trout.

The most important thing is to get out and have fun-- I feel it is better to be humbled with a fly rod, than to pull one or two in using powerbait.... If you get skunked, who cares?-- you're casting and fishing while everyone else is merely sitting on a bucket waiting.....
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone a while back posted the stocked trout would not hit flies where he was. I suggested going to the hatchery and asking to look at the pellets and then head to the tying bench. Tie up some Purina Trout Chow flies. Not long after that thread I got a new catalog that had pellet flies. No description of it or what it was supposed to represent. Just said "Pellet Fly". Have you ever been to a hatchery and seen trout hit the pellets?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Small nymphs, midges, it's surprising how fast they learn that all those aquatic insects are good to eat...

Dan
Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 AM

mfick is on a distinguished road

I have had luck stripping flashy white/pearl thunder creeks in stocked lakes. Sometimes charteuse, pink, or red/white works well too.