The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default A Little Help Please?

Click the image to open in full size.

The photo is a downstream view.

I approach from downstream...below the triangle

There is a down tree there now . i stood tight up to the tree

The hole is relatively shallow. There are a 17inch and 18 inch brookie in this hole. Those are conservative size estimates. Both with shoulders.

I did see the 2 huge trout in the hole.

I think a size 8 girdle bug would catch one of the monsters. Black body white legs unweighted.

Not much current. Little green slime on top and covering bottom. Both are hook jawed males.

Red circle is where they lay.

What would you use?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Little Help Please?

Hi Spinner,
Have you taken the time to study the entomology and the other various food sources of the water? Knowing the local food sources should bring you closer to your fly choice.

If you still are in doubt, toss out some sort of baitfish pattern (a bugger might do the trick) off to the side of the fish, but within its cone of vision. Then strip it in fast. Since you are stripping in the downstream position, your fly can represent a baitfish trying to escape.

MP
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

there have been some caddis hatches when it warms up on the gloomy days.

It did chase a olive cone headed bugger with some gold tinsel in the tail.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Spinner,

Where the fish lie is pretty narrow. I am not sure I would cast from the spot you indicate. I would move around the pool and fish from upstream or at least from the side. Maybe about where the picture is taken from. There are a lot of leaves on the water an you won't be able to do mends with out getting messed up with the leaves. I would make a nice cast from that spot and then let the fly drift into the fish. Make a one time mend just as the fly lands on the water.

Another approach would be with your Bugger. From up stream cast so the bugger will swing across right in front of the fish. Put the swing right on their nose.

Frank
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Spinner,

Where the fish lie is pretty narrow. I am not sure I would cast from the spot you indicate. I would move around the pool and fish from upstream or at least from the side. Maybe about where the picture is taken from. There are a lot of leaves on the water an you won't be able to do mends with out getting messed up with the leaves. I would make a nice cast from that spot and then let the fly drift into the fish. Make a one time mend just as the fly lands on the water.

Another approach would be with your Bugger. From up stream cast so the bugger will swing across right in front of the fish. Put the swing right on their nose.

Frank
Len: I like Frank's idea about changing positions, I too was worried about all the leaves on the water, that will be a real problem you need to solve. If caddis are hatching, how about trying a Lafontaine sparkle pupa or maybe an emergent sparkle pupa.

Larry
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

If i am correct, this picture was taken in the fall...so the leaves should be gone now. i would try a zonker fly it may be something they havent seen?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I'd sniper crawl to where ya took the picture with a dwarven combat rod and toss a nasty green frog to bank directly behind that red dot in the pic.

'Course I aint caught many trout tho...

Pretty spot Len
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Len, good to find you here. What I would do is use a slow-water/slack-water indicator method I use on my favorite spring creek - water very similar to what you show. It consists of a Parasol Emerger fly, trailed by a bead-head nymph to get the fly down to the fish's depth and then trail an unweighted imitation of prevalent bugs about 18-inches behind that fly. All dropper flies are tied in at the hook bend.
Do a soft curve-cast or reach-mend and drop that rig upstream of the fish and drift it through the lie. Works for me more often than not. The Parasol fly is very subtle and does not seem to spook the fish and works well as an indicator.

Here's what the Parasol Emerger looks like:

And here's a look at the setup:

Anyway, just my thoughts on your conundrum.

Regards,

Kelly.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

..................and updates?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM

it is still there.

caught decent one in hole and spooked.

used pink squirrel

weather has been insanely hot last week.