The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road
Default Sick of Brookies

Got sick of catching our usual native brook trout, so decided to head to a stream known for its brown trout. These are what we got!
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

So trout2234 and I decided to head back to the home stream. Bombed the brookies...as usual.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sick of Brookies

You have some nice brook trout there, I could never tire of catching them. The browns are great fish also but brookies are my first trout. Here we have char, Dolly Varden and farther north Arctic Char, I enjoy catching the char but a leaping rainbow / steelhead is always a nice treat.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

GASP! Sick of Brookies! Never! Ok, maybe once I got sick of brookies and started chasing browns too. After catching about 50 brookies in the morning on the North Branch of the Ausable, we headed to the main branch with our streamer rods. But, still the wording makes me cringe; I don't think I would ever be "sick of brookies". Those are some really nice brookies by the way; If I were catching those 8-10" brookies I wouldn't leave for anything!

Seems to be happening often; I'm with Ard on this one too. I'm always looking for good brook trout waters.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Native Brookies are my favorite - hands down.

The jumping antics of Rainbows and the strength and underwater cunning of a big Brown are certainly pluses in their favor, but for pure fishing fun, give me a backpack, a small mountain stream, a 3 wt. and all the Brookies I can land in a day's fishing.

Pocono
Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

Ahh, sarcasm for the sick of brookies part. I would really begin to miss them If I ever moved away. But the adventure of a different few spots, and the fact that it's really hard to scratch a brown out of any hole around my area...it all added up, so we did have a great day that day needless to say.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road

That was a quite a day if I don't say so myself. True as others have said, I could never tire of catching those awesome Brookies, but every once in a while I need a change in scenery and those Browns were just that change I needed. I am very fortunate to have an awesome trout stream basically in my back yard full of those native Brookies.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Native Brookies are my favorite - hands down.
I have to agree. Id rather catch 1 brookie as opposed to 10 browns. Granted those browns are great and I would love to hook into a beautiful 20" brown but I gotta stick with my first love.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Have to say the title of the post caught my eye and I had to see what heresy was being preached... Change is a good thing sometimes; but, consider yourself very fortunate having a Brookie fishery like that in your back yard... Very nice report and pics...

Dan
Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Brookies are my first choice up here in the U.P.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

After reading your title I wanted to write your name and draw a line through it.

I have one spot where the brookies are faithful but unfortunately during the summer it is waist high in poison ivy. I understand how the fishing would start getting bland without a little spice thrown in now and then.

Dave