The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default August 2011 Trip Planning...Finalizing

Howdy all-

Thanks to all the help I got in my provious thread, August 2011 Trip Planning. I'm now finalizing my trip back to Michigan for a bit of fishing. There is still one piece of the puzzle missing though and I'll need some assistance with that.

The Trip is planned as follows:
I requested the time off for the week of 8/22 to 8/26 so I'll be comming in on the wekend prior and leaving the weekend after. We'll be driving up to the UP on Sunday 8/21 and staying near the Iron River, where we plan to exlpore/fish for a couple days. My question is...where to stay?? Can anybody offer any advice as to a nice place?? The quainter and more romantic, the better. Figured that I might as well try and score some points with the GF as I drag her around bushwacking for Trout. Not too pricey though, I'm not made of money.

After exploring/fishing the Iron River area, we're heading down to fish the PM for a couple of days. I'm booking us a cabin at the Pere Marquette River Lodge in Baldwin. Going to see if the Salmon have started running up river. If not, we'll just fish for Trout.

I cut back and made it a simpler trip instead of trying to hit everything and being supper rushed to get it all in.

Now I do have a couple of additional questions:
I know the Salmon season starts a couple of weeks after I'm there, but, what are the chances of Salmon being in the river, and catchable, durring the week I'll be there?? Good?? Minimal?? Don't even bother trying??

Assuming that there is a good chance at catching a Salmon, is it do-able on my own?? Meaning is it possible to get into the Salmon in a wadeable area as I won't have a boat??

OR

If not do-able on my own with a good chance and since I've never used a guide before... I was thinking about using a guide, Betts Guideing Service, on the PM for the Salmon...Does anyone have any experience using them and how was the experience?? Anyone have another recomendation on a guide??

Thanks!!