The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default Headed to SW Wisconsin, Suggestions?

Hey,

So for the first time ever, i've decided to avoid the 6 hour drive from chicago to the AuSable in Grayling, and instead take the much more managable drive to the driftless area in southwest wisconsin. Trouble is i have yet to ever explore any water in these parts. I was hoping i could get some tips from the driftless frequenters about some solid water to get onto, bugs that are coming off this time, and finally some potential nearby campsites. Anything helps, appreciate it greatly.

Tight Lines,

Tom
Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Headed to SW Wisconsin, Suggestions?

Troutbum - not to be coy here but why don't we draw a map for you? There are more books on SW Wisconsin than you can read in a week. Here are some suggestions that I've found infinitely helpful:

Amazon.com: Exploring Wisconsin Trout Streams: The Angler's Guide (North Coast Books) (9780299155544): Stephen Born, Bill Sonzogni, Jeff Mayers, Andy Morton, Gary A. Borger: Books Amazon.com: Exploring Wisconsin Trout Streams: The Angler's Guide (North Coast Books) (9780299155544): Stephen Born, Bill Sonzogni, Jeff Mayers, Andy Morton, Gary A. Borger: Books

Amazon.com: Trout Streams of Wisconsin and Minnesota: An Angler's Guide to More Than 120 Rivers and Streams, Second Edition (9780881504972): Jim Humphrey, Bill Shogren: Books Amazon.com: Trout Streams of Wisconsin and Minnesota: An Angler's Guide to More Than 120 Rivers and Streams, Second Edition (9780881504972): Jim Humphrey, Bill Shogren: Books

Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin and Iowa (9781932098877): John Motoviloff: Books Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin and Iowa (9781932098877): John Motoviloff: Books

Those three books will give you an excellent start. The last one was my main book for a few years. Hatch charts are in all three books and will be an excellent guide.

Pick up a Gazeteer as well
Amazon.com: Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer (9780899333311): Delorme: Books Amazon.com: Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer (9780899333311): Delorme: Books

This fly shop in Chicago has all of these books - Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters Online Store - Welcome

For current hatch ideas/information - visit the Driftless Angler when you make your journey Driftless Angler Wisconsin Spring Creek Fly Fishing And Fly Shop - Driftless Angler Fly Shop

Happy exploring and good luck.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

Tom

send me an email

len.harris1@gmail.com
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Go to the Platt