The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Traverse City Small Stream Recommendations

I will be spending the week of July 4th near Traverse City and Frankfort, Michigan and would like to fish some small streams for brook, rainbow, and brown trout. Does anyone have any places I could start? I have heard the Betsie River might be a productive stream to begin. Should I just plan on driving two hours to the Au Sable or are there enough hidden gems to keep me busy.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 AM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Traverse City Small Stream Recommendations

From limited experience, I think you would be happier on the Boardman. You could also fish the Manistee. There is a lot of access on either. The Challenge chapter of Tout Unlimited has published detailed river guides that should be available at most fly shops.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The Betsie, Boardmen, Manistee, are all reasonably close, check with the local fly shop for any tips on some of the smaller waters.

Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

Not a small stream but you may also want to check out Torch Lake for Atlantic Salmon...there is/was an artical on the main page about the new world record that was set there. Unfortunatly I have no experience or info to share on it, but thought it would be something different to try.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future

Another possibility for you, flats fishing for Carp and Smallmouth...

Dan
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Another possibility for you, flats fishing for Carp and Smallmouth...

Dan
I definitely may consider flats fishing.

I'm also considering heading to the Manistee / Little Manistee, Bear Creek, and Pine River. Any feedback on these locations?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM

The upper Manistee is a short drive from TC, as is the Boardmen. If you're going to be in TC 4th of July week I'd hit the Manistee; Hex hatch is just waiting for some warm muggy nights. Another stream you might consider is the Jordan River, it's a little north of TC.

Back to the flats fishing; the wife and I drove over to TC yesterday and I saw a couple of guys fishing the flats right off the road. A couple hundred yards south of them I saw a pod of Carp tailing...really was wishing I had my gear with me...

Dan
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

The Au sable is probably closer to an hour rather than two from downtown TC. Just FYI.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Traverse city is a dream destination of mine. Those flats are legendary! I just fished the door peninsula flats for four days for carp (and we caught a bunch of smallies) and it was fantastic.
If I were in traverse city in mid summer I would be all over the flats...good luck! It sounds like a great trip!

Carp on the Fly

Last edited by john montana; 07-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

In TC you are within an hour of some of the best fly fishing in the mid west.
The Bestsie is good-tight and winding with some big and deap holes. Wadable and lots of access-probably some decent pressure

Boardman is outstanding and is great for hex hatch

Manistee is a big wide river with lots of wadable spots-sandy bottom in most areas

Jordan. Nice river. Search for access and look for canoe free areas

Au Sable-head waters are outside of Grayling.

Upper Manistee is not far

Little Manistee

Platte-tough and humbling river-gin clear water and ankle-knee deep-great for small bookies and bows.

Flats. Might be a couple weeks late for the wadable waters-just an opinion. I was up there the same weekend on the flats and never saw fish. but enjoyed the CherryFest and Fished the Boardman right Under the Union Street Bridge. People looking over the bridge pointing at fish saying "its right there-its huge," I invited them down to cast to it but they never took me up on it.

Best Bet is to hit the Northern Angler Fly Shop and ask for Brian the owner. He;s a good dude and might give up a spot or 2. More likely to want you to hire him out though. Nice shop and quality flies. The shop is at the west end of Main Street. While you are there try the North Peak Brewery, Blue Tractor and Hole in the Soul, Scotts and the Apache Trout Grill are also good places to eat.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

PS use an 8wt for those big water carp-they don't play around