The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly fishing streams

no problem, I am looking at google earth and there looks like a smaller river to the west of the kentucky river near hwy 42. might be worth looking into. Google Earth is a wonderful tool.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I will shoot you an update on the thread when I roll through Louisville again in a week. I'll ask around if there's any fly fishing rivers besides the ones we've mentioned.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road

I live in Madison, only trout streams I've heard of are Otter Creek, Brookville tailwaters, and supposedly the creek in Yellowwood state forest in Brown county. Madison has some nice creeks with a few bass and lots of sunnys. There's not many of us fly guys around these parts, I get strange looks at Johnson lake by the nursing home when I'm casting.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiejack View Post
I guess there is no trout fishing in Indiana.
Click the image to open in full size.

North West Indiana creek...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Guys, sorry I have been so bad about keeping up with my thread. Mike, nice bikes and superb photography. gator, bm3, smallieman, dean, and anyone I missed I appreciate you taking an interest in my questions. smallieman, nice trout by deep South standards.

I spent July 4th with my wife (she was finishing up her job in Madison) and we enjoyed the boat races and look at some houses. We spent Thanksgiving week in Madison and Belle Terra (walked out $150.00 richer) enjoying the holiday and looking for a house. Working through Lynch Realty (they don't move very fast) and again was unsuccessful in finding a house. We want to buy in the historic district, so bm3 if you hear of anything let me know. I know what you mean about the looks. I get them down here fly fishing for warm water fish.

My plans are still to semi-retire to Madison and teach remotely via online classes, by me a bicycle to get around town (be seeing you, Mike), fish, shoot (if I can find a range), hang out in the downtown taverns, and become an honorary Hoosier. My wife is in Bellfountaine, OH this week enjoying the snow.

I have read about some trout fishing above Indy and some over in the NW part of the state. I guess it will be April before I get back up to visit unless we find a house before then.

When I was there in July, I inquired about the fishing and everyone I talked to said they fished the Ohio for catfish.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jack,

The positive end of this move is that you will be in a good launch point for many a destination. Michigan, Wisconsin, and of course many points west are within a reasonable trip from ID.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 AM

Thanks, Hardy, I have considered that. One of my friends is retiring about the same time I am and moving back to WI. He is an avid hunter and fisherman. He will be about 5 hours away. I am looking forward to when I move up there.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road

No problem. I grew up diagonally from the Lanier Mansion down by the river if you're familiar. There's a few houses that are popping up for sale downtown, I'd recommend anything west of Broadway from 3rd street to the river. The closest public shooting range is Crosley fish and wildlife area in Vernon. I think the closest stream is going to be Otter Creek just west of Louisville, I plan on scouting it when the weather breaks, from the last guy I talked to at the Clarksville Bass Pro I guess some people might be getting trout out of it. Otherwise Brookville Tailwater might be the other option. Bass options are a lot easier to come by. Muscatatuck River in Jennings, several large creeks throughout the county and lots of ponds and Old Timbers Lake in the Big Oaks Wildlife Refuge.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM

moose, I appreciate the information. I know right where the Laneir Mansion is. My wife rented a house on West 3rd between Elm and Broadway when she was working up there. That is a nice area and close to everything downtown. I have nothing against catching warm water fish, I just like to do it on a fly. In fact, if I had to stick with just one specie it would be smallies. Scrappy fighters and so good to eat. Guess I shouldn't mention the eating. You know just a couple for me and the wife. How far is Clarksville? Hard to be close to a BPS and not go. Nearest one from me is about 100 miles. Thanks again.