The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly fishing streams

Where are the best fly fishing wading streams/rivers in Indiana? What species of trout are available? Fixing to move to Madison.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Fly fishing streams

I guess there is no trout fishing in Indiana.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dixie Jack sorry i didn't see your post until now.

Here's a link to some info on Indiana's trout streams
Indiana Fly Fishing :: Indiana Fly Fishing, Indiana Trout Streams and Indiana Fly Shops

and a list of the waters with trout stockings from IN DNR:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files..._Locations.pdf

Although I've never fished in Indiana for trout or anything else, i imagine a lot of the trout stocking in streams is done in Spring on a "put and take" basis-- with many of the streams heating up too much during summer to hold trout in August (sustained water temps over 70 degrees is generally lethal to trout). The exception might be some tailwaters with cold water releases from the bottom of dams that might keep year round trout friendly temps immediately below and downstream of the dam--- for example the Brookville tailwater on the East Fork of the White River

http://www.centralindianatu.org/imag...kville_Map.pdf

There's also 3 year round catch and release areas in Elkhart County: the Little Elkhart River in Elkhart County, a trib of the St Joseph and Solomon Creek and Cobus Creek also in Elkhart County. The St Joseph and some nearby streams (Trail Creek, Salt Creek, East branch of Little Calumet etc) also get some steelhead, so that's worth looking into also if you're close by.

But being in IN you probably also have a lot more opportunities for smallmouth in streams and they're worth chasing with a fly rod too.

You can find more info on IN fisheries including trout, steelhead and warmwater in the DNR Guide: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files...hing_guide.pdf
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

It's also an easy drive to Louisville, and the Falls of the Ohio is a great place to fish for a number of hard-fighting fish (striper hybrids and freshwater drum, and the occasional catfish will hit lures closer to the surface as well) and is very accessible and wadeable. When I worked in Louisville, I fished at the Falls almost every day and caught a lot of fish there. There is also Otter Creek just south of Louisville, as well as fly fishing on the waterways through Fort Knox. Granted these are in Kentucky, but all within 50 miles of Madison.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

If you are moving to Madison (WI I assume) I wouldn't spend much in Indiana...for a number of reasons including the fishing! I grew up in SW Michigan and have never heard of much fishing in Indiana. As Peregrines points out, there are Steelhead runs all around the lake. But anyway, western Wisconsin is really where you want to be looking...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

LOL Dean, Madison is also a city just NE of Louisville, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks, I was wondering if everyone in Indiana just fished Lake Michigan and the Ohio River.

I will look up those links you suggested. I have been fly fishing for almost 60 years and i don't plan on giving it up now. I would like to find some shallow walking streams to fish.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
LOL Dean, Madison is also a city just NE of Louisville, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River
We'll there you have it! I was quite perplexed why someone in central WI would want to fish in Indiana.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I fish the otter creek mentioned above, the park is about 30 minute south of louisville and is being stocked, small mouth and nice trout. and a varity of other creek fish. to note some of the coolest looking sunfish I have seen. the park ropened in May, here more details

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -

I noticed the blue river on the list on one of the links, as well as the brown County area. which I would go for the mtb trial but I guess now Ill take the ff gear.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Dean, I would wonder the same thing.

MB, I appreciate the info on KY. I wonder if there are any streams South of Madison just across the river. There is a bridge that connects Madison with Ky.