The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Serious Decline In Brook Trout Population In Wisconsin Driftless

Click the image to open in full size.

I have been talking to lots of anglers. Couple being guides and others being hard core anglers.

ALL of them have seen the exact same thing as I have.

The population of brook trout has taken a serious decline in the last 2 years.

I have done an informal testing of the streams that I typically catch brook trout in. I see a 70 percent decline in the brook trout population. In 9 of 10 of my brook trout streams I have found gill lice. The biologists and trout experts I talked to say that gill lice alone can not decimate a population of brook trout but gill lice and other factors can. The other factors being floods, over population, and long periods of excessive heat.

Brook trout and rainbows are hosts to gill lice not browns. Gill lice are not harmful to humans.

Click the image to open in full size.

Below is Wisconsin's Department Of Natural Resources lead "Trout Expert" contact info

Matthew G. Mitro, Ph.D.
Fisheries Research Scientist
Wisconsin DNR Bureau of Science Services
2801 Progress Road
Madison WI 53716-3339
608-221-6366
Matthew.Mitro@Wisconsin.gov
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serious Decline In Brook Trout Population In Wisconsin Driftless

I have actually had pretty good luck in the early season this year on the Kickapoo area streams. I haven't notice this issue as much.

I am part of TU and I know we monitor streams for different clarity issues. Have you brought this up at a local meeting or forum? Just curious.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Serious Decline In Brook Trout Population In Wisconsin Driftless

have talked wdnr staff numerous times.

Am on phone with another guide as i type and

he agrees with me 100 percent.