The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default 9/28 My Buddy Leon Leggett From Alabama Up For Closer

Leon called me this morning about 9:30am. I told him I was a member of the walking wounded and I was more than likely done for the season. My left knee is really swollen and tender. Leon was disappointed but I gave him a couple locations where to fish. He asked me where the biggest fish I knew was. He is staying in Richland Center. He wanted a close fix.

Leon called me from the stream to verify he was in the right place. I oked his placement and start place. He called half way through the fishing this evening. He had caught a few smaller trout. I asked him exactly where he was at. I told him to put a new 3X leader on and I also told him exactly where the fish typical lays.

Leon just got off the phone with me. He was walking on air. Leon Hooked/Landed/Photographed his biggest small stream Wisconsin trout ever. He took a photo along side of the rod and will give it to me tomorrow. He guesses the male trout between 21 and 25 inches.

Check back for the photo later.

I love it.....I don't even need to be with guys...just give them directions. Leon caught it on a size 10 bloody bugger barbless that I gave him to go after it with.. The battle was about 5 minutes.

Click the image to open in full size.

Leon ended the phone call with thanking me and saying this fish made the drive from Alabama well worth it.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

a 5 minute fight on a fly rod doesn't sound long....

but i bet it seemed like an eternity at sunset with a huge trout on your line.

Leon was soooo excited and his southern drawl was hard to understand.

He called me right after he released it to thank me.

He said his hands were shaking sooo much he could hardly dial the phone.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9/28 My Buddy Leon Leggett From Alabama Up For Closer

Ok Len, I am down here on the Little Red in Arkansas and sending you the Lat and Long...

That's cool, really cool. My hat is off to you Len.

Dave
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looking forward to seeing the fish! That has to be very rewarding putting your buddy on such a great fish.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Len: What a great story, glad you were able to help out your friend even though you couldn't be on the stream with him! Can't wait to see the photo!

Larry

Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

female bow....very respectable