The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Great Lakes Steel On a Dry?

Saw an article in fly fisherman mag today about getting great lakes steelhead to eat dry flies? Ha Ha Ha. I have seen it out west, but am yet to even hear of one instance of this happening in the great lakes.

I would love to hear of one person who got one on a dry.

anyone? Or just good reading?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Great Lakes Steel On a Dry?

Never got a Little Manistee to rise to a dry fly, but Skamania strain steelhead will when their fresh...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I spent, I mean wasted too much time trying to tease steel with a dry in Michigan. Like the writer of the article, I got fired up about skating dries by watching a Lani Waller VCR. I still have Waller Walkers taking up space in a fly box.
I'm going to give that article a thorough read and see if maybe this guy did figure out the trick to tricking Great Lakes steel with a skating fly.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

I did once see a novice spin fisherman catch a king salmon on a hula popper.....haha. I looked over at my buddy laughing and said "Look at that goof over there" as we looked over all of the sudden BOOM !! I nearly wet my pants..haha..

I guess anything is possible...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I try from time to time but no luck yet. I've seen them wack at indies and floats so its not totally impossible, I'm guessing there has to be alot of fresh fish in one area, clear water, alot of indies going by and a dump truck load of LUCK!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I try from time to time but no luck yet. I've seen them wack at indies and floats so its not totally impossible, I'm guessing there has to be alot of fresh fish in one area, clear water, alot of indies going by and a dump truck load of LUCK!
That's essentially how I stumbled upon skating dries for our Summer steelhead, years ago I was float fishing and in one day I had 6 fish blow up on my drennan bobber as I was reeling it in. A couple of them actually held on to the float for a while...

So, the next day, I came back with orange skaters and rose a couple fish...

In my experience, you are spot on, you will do the best in low/clear water when fish are fresh and packed pretty good into a hole. That seems to make them more competitive, but I have gotten them to hit when they weren't quite as fresh and were loaner fish I spotted before casting to as well...

I have never been able to get anything other than our Summer fish to do it though, but haven't spent much time doing it in the Fall or Spring either...

My best day was like 4 fish boiling on the fly and landing 2, definitely not a high numbers thing, but something you will never forget...

Last edited by kwb; 10-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The article is a pretty good one, but you're right on the money KWB. The article stresses the fact that nowhere near all fish will rise on dries, and that you are targeting the one aggressive fish in the mass you have packed into a run (or hopefully packed into a run). They certainly do not tout it as the catch-all tactic. It's a good article either way, but I'll wait til I start catching steelhead at all before I start trying to specialize!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM

I have not seen the article, will have to check it out!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

About 2 years ago (or more) in the spring I watched a big buck take some type of mayfly on the surface. I've never seen anything like that happen since but a few guys I know around here have seen the same thing on occasion. Again low, gin clear conditions and this fish had been in the river a while as he was colored up and pretty beat up. I would guess spring to be the best time to really give it a solid shot with the hatches starting up and the hold overs acting like giant trout (well they are) theres not much coming off the water to get their attention this time of year, maybe autum sedges but if I'm not mistaken they tend to crawl out rather than surface hatch. I'll still give it a try when all else fails, we're getting another decent shot of rain so hopefully more players enter the tribs.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM

troy1 is on a distinguished road

haha!ya,they do!yaaa they do!try a purple caddis on a no.12 long curved nymph hook..in early spring