The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default chuck n duck

went to the P.M. for salmon a couple times over the past week and out of the 2 times we brought 5 salmon to hand legitimately nymph fishing where the salmon chased the nymph and hit it. Id say 5 is a good number but we seen MANY people including guides "catching" more using the chuck and duck technique. i asked to see this set up and although effective, it doesnt seem like fly fishing to me. they said "you just cast it in front of the fish and because they open their mouths all the time the hook catches them in the mouth, if the first hook doesnt get them the second one will". What are your thoughts on "Chuck n Duck" fishing? is this what i am to expect if i were to take a guided trip? At this point i would only take a guided trip to become a better fly fisherman not to learn a better way to snag fish.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: chuck n duck

That would take the joy out of it for me. I'll pass.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Don't go there! I could teach a person how to snag fish in under 5 minutes, it's not much different than any common carnival game and the "guides" who would show people how to do it are 'Carnies' not guides!

If you get to where you need depth and don't want to use the weights send me a PM and I'll hook you up

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2011, 01:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Chuck 'n' Duck = Flossing, in other words LAME!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Carnies!! Lmao!

Circus folk ya know.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Anyone can "line" fish a million different ways if they want to. Chuck and duck surely can be used to snag fish even though it was not the intended goal. In essence it is merely a way to get your fly down to where the fish are. Its not the chuck and duck that is the enemy here it is the people who abuse the method. Allthough I have never used running line, I have been known to add splitshot to get my flies down. Fish can just as easily be snagged with sinking lines and weighted nymphs, or with floating lines for that matter. Again, its not the technique, its the abuse. No matter what method you choose.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi pegboy,

You should take a look at the 2 threads I placed in the Spey Fishing forum here about leader construction. One is called Leader Design and the other is called Making the Braided connector for your line. The system requires more of a technical fishing style but will give stellar results. If it didn't work I wouldn't use it. Also I've only had 2 foul hooks this year with this system and un - weighted flies.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The way they "Chuck 'n Duck" on the North Shore of Lake Superior, it was not designed to floss or snag fish. It also isn't fly fishing. They use a fly rod with a spinning reel or a fly reel loaded with mono. They use a slinky weight made with a piece of parachute cord that has the inside removed and replaced with split shot. It is melted shut at one end and over a barrel swivel at the other. They use a single octopus hook tied on snell knotted slightly back on the shank. You push the line back through the eye and put a bit of egg yarn in between the shank and the line and then pull the line tight and trim the yarn. The slinky weight rides up and down the line 'Carolina rig' style with the hook being below the required second Carolina rig swivel about a foot and a half or 2 feet. You cast up and let it drift bouncing the bottom and set when the fish takes the fly. As I said, not fly fishing. If you lined a fish this way I would think you would not snag it because you would be setting the weight on him first. How are they rigging it there?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

Diver Dan, they are riging exactly as you said but using all monoline and the slinkie weight then swivel then fly one then fly 2. the run this year is so heavy that you are kicking them as you walk.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi pegboy,

You should take a look at the 2 threads I placed in the Spey Fishing forum here about leader construction. One is called Leader Design and the other is called Making the Braided connector for your line. The system requires more of a technical fishing style but will give stellar results. If it didn't work I wouldn't use it. Also I've only had 2 foul hooks this year with this system and un - weighted flies.

Ard
Thank you sir...I will take a look.