The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 AM

benjaminrogers is on a distinguished road
Default Some advice

So I'm new to the boards and fly fishing (this past Sunday was the first time I got my rod wet) and I have a couple questions that I'm hoping people can help me with.

1) I bought one of those simple Crystal River starter kits and had it lined at Cabelas. I typically fish bass but have found the call of trout fishing very strong and am going to hit up the Clear Fork here in Ohio next weekend for brown trout. My concern is that my rod is a 6/7 weight. Is this too much for trout? Should I get something lighter?

2) On a good cast I can get 10 to 15 feet but more often than not my loop just collapse into the water when I release. My fly line lays down and then the leader right on top of it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

This sight is incredible and I look forward to spending some time here!

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Some advice

I'd say your rod is a bit heavy, but will suffice for now until you get more into the sport. I've caught small fish on an 8 weight cause it was the only rod i had at the time.

As for the casting, i imagine its just your timing is off on the release point for the line in your hand.
It seems like you're letting before the line on the rod has had time to get in front of you and also that the rod tip is too high when you release (part of the timing)

Its hard to explain in words when to release, you more have to feel it from the rod.
Keep the rod tip high when loading the line, and then on the final cast forward drop the rod tip to just above eye level and release the line in your had...
you'll know if you doing it right cause the line will shoot out.

It really trial and error to figure what works for you....
hope this helps, and i'm sure you'll get other responses from other more experienced minds than mine...good luck and keep at it...it truly is worth it when everything comes together!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ben: I usually like a 4 or 5 wt rod for trout but I have a 6 and 7 that I also use when targeting larger trout, especially when throwing streamers or in the spring wind in Wyoming. Your rig should do just fine. I'm not very good offering advice on casting so I will leave that to the others who are much better than I am. I will suggest that you should take a look at YouTube and look at the fly casting instruction videos, the one that I like best is by Tim Landwehr from Tight Lines Fly Fishing Co, it is a three part series:

Larry

Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM

You guys are awesome. The fly guys over on my local ohio boards are very 'tight-lipped' about this kind of stuff!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminrogers View Post
You guys are awesome. The fly guys over on my local ohio boards are very 'tight-lipped' about this kind of stuff!
I find local boards are tight lipped about everything - just my personal experience - i guess noone wants to spot burn or fuel enthusiasm in the newcomers to the sport.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Spot burn is a huge problem in Ohio for Bass without a doubt. However with our limited trout population it's inevitable.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The great thing I've seen so far on this forum is the eagerness of members to get out fishing together. I've met with two different forum members in two different states so far and I hope to get the opportunity to go global this summer and maybe meet up with Mladen and JP. However, most the places I fish are either thoroughly burned already OR places that most people don't want to fish. My favorite carp spot has almost as much graffiti as fish. Nevertheless, I will take a friend fishing to my most secret spots if I know that we will both enjoy our day. And if I'm sharing a spot with forum friends, thats what PMs are for

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM

After reading a ton of threads on here and not getting any work done I've discovered I'm not letting the loop extend on the backstroke to load the rod. Plus I over extend.

I try and pause at the top but it seems to take forever to get the line to extend all the way out. Is this because I'm feeding too much line to fast? Should I keep it short until the rod is really loading to feed in more line from my hand?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminrogers View Post
After reading a ton of threads on here and not getting any work done I've discovered I'm not letting the loop extend on the backstroke to load the rod. Plus I over extend.

I try and pause at the top but it seems to take forever to get the line to extend all the way out. Is this because I'm feeding too much line to fast? Should I keep it short until the rod is really loading to feed in more line from my hand?
This could be the problem. I would advise letting only a short amount of line off the reel at a time and practicing with that. when you get more comfortable let more line of the reel and continue this trend until you are throwing more line.

Doing it this way reduces the temptation to try to throw too much line at one time and you will get improved timing of the casting stroke..as you let more line you should be able to adjust to the slightly longer casts and eventually you'll be throwing the way you want to

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM

When it comes to feeding line, I've heard that when you are wading you need a basket for the line so it isn't in the water. Is this true?