The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default How Would You Fish This?

Nearly Impossible Scenario

Click the image to open in full size.

The board in the middle bottom.

There is a giant brown laying under it.

I had no filter for my camera and the snow and sun wouldn't allow me to photograph it.

You will just have to take my word for it.

How would you fish this near impossible scenario???

And if you got it on....HOW would you land it?

Photo is taken upstream.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Would You Fish This?

Len: After looking at that mess of snags, I can understand why a big monster brown would be living there. I think I would just pass on that one, maybe someone else can figure out a good way to fish that spot.

Larry

Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I would try, and fail, at shimmying up one of those trees. If I did make it, I would dangle a bugger over the hole. If by some magical way it actually worked, I'd likely **** my pants and watch as my tipped wrapped around 4,5, or 15, branches and snapped.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

12 wt rod, heavy tippet, mouse pattern and a jet pack?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Firstly you will need a Chopper to remove the Big Trees then you might have a chance otherwise The Brown is only going to get fatter.
The main reason The Big Brown is there is probably because he can't get out.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Some things aren't meant to be. I think your victory was in finding the fish and sharing the story and photo.

Dave
Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Baitcaster, 65 lb braid & a 1/4 oz weedless jig, just like flippin for bass!

Although I like the suggestion that Diver Dan made!

I used to catch Bluegills, small bass, perch & catfish out of a hole like that on a warmwater stream, but they were not as spooky as that Big Brown would likely be!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I would have definitely tried for that fish and the first plan I would make is how to fight and land it after I hooked it. That fish is large and without spooking will hit and probably eat any bug that is offered. Typically a fish in that scenario is there for an ambush and will hit quickly and solidly if there is a presentation in its arena.

I see this as a for sure scenario and would approach from the backside of the fish. I would assume the fish to be facing upstream or towards the main river channel, which is a benefit right off.

I would tie on a heavy tippet as this fish is probably not very leader shy when in an ambush scenario, it knows it has to hit quickly or the food source will be gone fast...it has little reservation at smacking something because it is so well hidden and feels very safe that what and when it hits it will get another good meal.

The importance of knowing that fish will hit means you may use a couple of different scenarios and both seem to involve a one shot (one cast) scenario...no second chances on this fish as when you put the fly in it will either hook the fish or a snag...getting snagged is a for sure loss of the possibility of that fish so let's make sure the bug goes right where you need it to go..that being said I would try my best to limit the cast, either shoot it with a rod flick and the fly in your fingers or use a dabble (hold the rod out over the hole and lower the fly into the hole).

My first choice and the one with no second chance would be to place the fly over the top of the stick lying across the hole and let the fly sink under it (there will be no second on this one as the fly will no doubt snag on that stick as oyu try to bring it out).

I would use a fly that sinks quickly and is large, my choice would be a woolly bugger and a 10lb or 1X or 2X tippet.

You will be low and unable to watch the fish or you would have probably spooked it so you must assume it will hit the fly and be prepared to set the hook and come up quickly to a position that allows oyu to horse the fish into a landable area. Wade up behind the hole and net the fish as you bring it close to the surface...if you cannot horse it it will wrap you on a snag and will be gone.

Go back and give it a shot as no doubt that monster is still there.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

A thingamabobber with a San Juan worm
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Len: After looking at that mess of snags, I can understand why a big monster brown would be living there. I think I would just pass on that one, maybe someone else can figure out a good way to fish that spot.

Larry
Oh Soooo Yes! A quarter stick of TNT is not an option.