Muskegon River - Trout in November?

patze003

Reaction score
Forum -

I am an avid trout fisherman who fishes the spring creeks of WI. I will be in Grand Rapids MI over the Thanksgiving weekend and found that the Muskegon River has a year-round trout season.

I would like to avoid Steelhead primarily because I have no gear (I only have a 9' 4 wt for trout) and no experience.

However I'd like to get out with a friend and chase some big browns during the weekend.

Is trout fishing any good on the Muskegon this time of year?

Where is a good stretch of water to target trout within a reasonable distance of GR? (not looking for anyone's secret spot, no worries ;)

Thoughts?

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I would fish the first few miles below Croton Dam. There is wonderful Trout fishing to be had this time of year...

patze003

Reaction score
Awesome! So a 4wt will be sufficient?

Also what patterns/techniques do I want to be using?

Anything else important to know? Time of day? etc...

Thanks so much!

patze003

Reaction score
Also can I walk/wade this area? I also may take my father who does not have waders, is it possible to fish this area without waders?

Thanks

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
4 weight should be fine and yes you can wade this section of river, there are a few different access points.

Waders would be a good thing, but I'm sure he could fish just fine at Croton without them...

dean_mt

Reaction score
Patze - how did you do on the Muskegon? I grew up in Michigan and lived in GR for a few years...the Muskegon was one of the rivers I fished when I was just learning on the fly.