The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Why Is This A Bad Place For Trout To Winter?

Click the image to open in full size.

Let's hear your thoughts?

I have my theory...................

Want some input here.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Why Is This A Bad Place For Trout To Winter?

Hi Len,

How you mean bad place
Bad for trout to spend winter there or bad for you to catch some?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Hi Len,

How you mean bad place
Bad for trout to spend winter there or bad for you to catch some?
New permission....hit it hard last year in March....not a whisper...had three friends try...nothing.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenHarris View Post
New permission....hit it hard last year in March....not a whisper...had three friends try...nothing.
ah that
well,try another three friends
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a big boy wintering in the hole, if so, he probably keeps it cleaned out of smaller trout.

Dave
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
There may be a big boy wintering in the hole, if so, he probably keeps it cleaned out of smaller trout.

Dave
Dave: Could be. My thought was that it looks to be a dead end with no current to wash food in there. Could be too shallow, hard to tell from looking at the photo.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Could be too shallow, hard to tell from looking at the photo.
I dont think it is shallow.Problems with fishing trout mostly happen when water is too deep
Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

taking a flyer....low oxygen?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It would help to know the depth and current but the overhanging branches on the right and the rock face look pretty fishy to me
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I have a couple of thoughts,if I'm correct it appears that there's a track on top of The Rock where pollutants/rubbish etc,can enter,next I'll go along with Larry because of no influx,no food can enter & nothing can be washed out until the melt.
Brian.