The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Scouting/Exploring the Driftless

So I've got some time on my hands for a while, and armed with a Gazetteer, Google Maps and last year's Wisco trout guide I've been thinking about doing some scouting of areas in the Driftless. I know about the books that are available, and Driftless Anglers, etc.

I don't want your spot... in fact i don't want anybody's spot (I'd rather be alone, thank you very much). Ideally I'd like to find some areas that aren't too pressured and that have reasonably good public access. That being said I don't mind walking a bit, or slapping my Jeep into 4WD. I've identified a few spots on maps that i'd like to check out, but it's sometimes hard to identify where there's public access.

Just looking for starting points for exploration, the closer to Milwaukee the better. I'm going to be in Madison a couple times next month and thought I might take some to have a look around at promising places to hit when the season opens.

Any suggestions on general areas to check out?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scouting/Exploring the Driftless

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
So I've got some time on my hands for a while, and armed with a Gazetteer, Google Maps and last year's Wisco trout guide I've been thinking about doing some scouting of areas in the Driftless. I know about the books that are available, and Driftless Anglers, etc.

I don't want your spot... in fact i don't want anybody's spot (I'd rather be alone, thank you very much). Ideally I'd like to find some areas that aren't too pressured and that have reasonably good public access. That being said I don't mind walking a bit, or slapping my Jeep into 4WD. I've identified a few spots on maps that i'd like to check out, but it's sometimes hard to identify where there's public access.

Just looking for starting points for exploration, the closer to Milwaukee the better. I'm going to be in Madison a couple times next month and thought I might take some to have a look around at promising places to hit when the season opens.

Any suggestions on general areas to check out?
do you like the bookie photo on last year's regulations?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

it is a lovely brookie... one of yours?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

yes...

my photo
Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

ive seen better brookie pictures in my day. i personally liked the drawings better.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftlessman View Post
ive seen better brookie pictures in my day. i personally liked the drawings better.
I hope your post was meant to be funny!!!

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM

littledavid

I submitted this one to TU for this year's cover. Didn't hear anything back. I guess that was a no.

Click the image to open in full size.

My cover was chosen by the WDNR and TU volunteered to take over the cover art now.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Len!! Winter is when I fish the brookies here, but this winter we have had so much rain it has been a no go since November. Once spring arrives the poison ivy gets so thick I can't make it in to my brookie hole. Yeah it is really that thick and waist high.

How long have you been entering your pics for the covers? The photo shown has a blue collar look about it that is very cool.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM

we had a trout stamp competition here for decades. Folks would paint and a panel of judges would pick the winner.

I was asked to be one of the three judges one year. They told me they were phasing out the competition. I told the head of fisheries I had lots of photos they could consider.

I got an email from him in September and he asked me to submit a few. He picked the brookie photo.

It was an old old photo of mine I took with a Sony Mavica 3.5 disc digital. The blue tint of the brookie sealed the deal.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

len s is on a distinguished road

Mr.Harris can you post the picture that made the cover?