The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Ugly Place

Click the image to open in full size.

Cattle everywhere.....
banks trampled down...
electric fence across the water.

First cast after the photo I caught a 21 inch brown from under the root wad caught on the fence.

and a really nice brookie just 20 yards up further.

Sometimes the old adage of "Trout Don't Live In Ugly Places" is wrong.

The only reason I fished this at all is that there was a huge spring emptying in 100 yards upstream.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ugly Place

Yea sometimes the big fellas can be found in the most unexpected places! My brother just drives around and fishes road side culverts and he often pulls 3lbs brookies out of streams that one could step across.

Too bad there is that much wear and tear on that stream, I'm sure that stream has excellent potential if it was cleaned up and the cattle were kept off the banks, and a proper buffer zone was set up.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish one little stretch of water that has so much garbage (appliances, sunken docks and etc.) it makes me feel like a dumpster diver.

Dave
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 PM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road

yeah sure looks like a spot that I'd over look!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's the downside of Great Lakes steelhead fishing... a lot of the waters, at least in my area, have heavily polluted banks, even the more remote ones. But you're definitely right Len, some very ugly places can yield some very large fish. A local spot comes to mind, a place my friends and I refer to as "The Valley of Sin". I (highly) prefer to fish other places but to date I caught my biggest brown there, a 30" male.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...