The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Salt Fork State Park - cambridge Ohio

Hey all,

My wife, son and I will be traveling back to Ohio this year, and we will be camping near Salt Fork State Park. I was wondering if anyone fishes this area, if float tubing is an option on the state park lake, what kind of flies I would need, etc.

From what I have found out so far (just started looking today), not a lot of trout there, but bass, musky, catfish, bluegill, etc so, at least there is a chance of hooking up to something using a fly rod while there. Not sure about techniques for musky or catfish on a fly rod (still researching). I am assuming there is not a big concern for water creatures that can take my leg off or major poisonous snakes, or any other creatures in the lake tha tcause major concern as they allow swimming and water skiing, but please correct me if I am wrong.

We will be in the area for about a week (visiting relatives), and if you are inclined to PM me with some hot spots to fish on the lake (much appreciated), or live in the area and want to wet a line while we are back there this summer please let me know.

Thanks

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salt Fork State Park - cambridge Ohio

thread bump - any ohio fisherman out there?

First question, anything keeping you from float tubing in Ohio? you know pirahna, lake sharks, salt water crocs, etc (just kidding on these creatures of course - though snakes might be an issue and I hear you gotta watch out for bigfoot)

Second, anyone fish Salt Fork? Good flies, tactics, etc....

Thanks

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Hey - Salt Fork is a great state park...Up until a few years ago, my college buddies and I would rent a cabin for the weekend and partake in lots of debauchery.
I am not really a bass guy, but did fish from the banks around where we were staying with some luck. You can get away with a 10' 7 or 8 wt rod and as far as fly are concerned the standard bass bugs will work ie Streamers, Buggers, poppers.
Haven't tubed it as it is a pretty big lake...most guys are out trolling the shores on their bass boats.
Hope that helps a little.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info,

I know better than to tube in the area where the folks are water skiing and such, but have fished lakes where they do those things (in early and out before it gets crazy and stay near the shore).

I am not a bass fisherman either, mostly trout for me, but you know what they say - when in Rome...

I hear there are crappy and blue gill in the lake as well in the cove areas.

d